12 Best Work Shoes for Men in 2017
Shoes are an essential clothing item for most of us in our day to day lives. We usually put much thought into purchasing our day-to-day shoes because we wear them a lot and want to show off our style, but what about shoes for work? They are just as essential.
The best work shoes for men must be comfortable, safe, and fit the level of dressiness required for his job. Because of this, there are many traits to consider when purchasing a new pair of work shoes. Do you need slip-resistant shoes for a slick work environment? Does your job require business-like attire? What about safety? Do you need your shoes to have a steel toe?
Don’t worry about tracking down all the most popular men’s work shoes on your own. Let these reviews and our buying guide help you make your decision!
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Work Shoes for Men Comparison Table
- Before You Buy: Traits to Consider When Purchasing Shoes for Work
- Top 5 Best Work Shoes for Men Reviews
Top 12 Work Shoes for Men Comparison Table
Before You Buy: Traits to Consider When Purchasing Shoes for Work
We’ve shown you what the best work shoes for men look like, but there is still a lot to think over before you purchase your new pair. Make sure you outfit yourself with the best footwear possible by asking yourself a few simple questions before your purchase:
- In What Kind of Environment Do I Work? – Most places of work enforce dress standards so that their employees look the part during the day, so it is important to have a good understanding of how “dressed-up” you should look at work; this includes your shoes!
- Business-Wear – Shoes appropriate for business settings are often leather with laces and have a more classic look than their casual counterparts. They look dressier, as well, but this does not mean that they can’t serve work functions outside of a cozy office. Dressier men’s work shoes can be found with steel toes and slip-resistant soles.
- Casual-Wear – Casual work shoes tend to have a sportier look, sometimes slip-on, and can often be made of mesh or other more breathable material. These shoes, more often than business work shoes, tend to be specialized in their use; this could mean slip-resistance, extra tread for low-traction environments, or a steel-toe for high impact work environments. Other casual work shoes, for people who spend a lot of time on their feet, are just made to be as comfortable as possible.
- What Safety Concerns Pertain to My Work? – If you work in hazardous environments like construction sites or factories, safety should be number one on your mind when it comes to purchasing your new work shoes.
- Steel-Toed Work Shoes – These shoes have a steel barrier around the toes and surrounding part of the foot. This keeps them safe in case of falling debris or other collision.
- Slip-Resistant Work Shoes – Slip-proof work shoes have more treads on them to add traction in slippery work environments. Some of them have soles that are made to be especially oil-resistant for restaurant workers.
- Laces – In some work environments, it may be a liability to have laces that could potentially come undone, resulting in a fall or worse. If this is the case in your work environment, you may want to consider a slip-on shoe that is secured in a different fashion, i.e. buckles or straps.
- What Is My Shoe Style of Choice? – Just because you are buying shoes for work doesn’t mean you can’t also show off your personality. You shouldn’t feel like you have to sacrifice style for purpose. There are many casual work shoes that are more than plain black or white, and they even come in different styles! Also, you can find business work shoes that are equipped with everything a steel-toed, slip-resistant shoe is.
It may seem trivial, but it’s very important that you know exactly what you’re looking for in a work shoe so you can be comfortable and safe all day long. Now that you’ve got an idea as to what to look for, let’s take a look at some of the best work shoes for men!
Top 5 Best Work Shoes for Men Reviews
For those of you who work in the outdoors or factory environments, we highly recommend the KEEN Atlanta Steel Toe Work Shoe. These stylish work shoes are durable like a boot but breathable and comfortable like a sneaker! Let’s see why the KEEN Atlanta Work Shoe is number one on our list:
- Unique Laces – Like we mentioned in our buying guide, laces can get in the way of safety. KEEN has taken care of this problem by utilizing drawstring laces so that the shoe can be secured to your foot, but no loose laces to worry about.
- Oil and slip-resistant outsole – Motor oil is no match for the KEEN Atlanta Work Shoe. The slip-resistant, rubber sole ensure that you have a good grip no matter where your workday takes you.
- Mesh design – One of the best characteristics of these work shoes are their breathability thanks to the mesh body. Your days at work are long enough without having to worry about being uncomfortable. The mesh design of these shoes keeps air flowing to your feet so you will feel fresh all day!
These tough shoes are specialized for those who work in more hazardous environments. If this is the case for you, then you can feel safe and comfortable in these Keens.
The Natural Low Canvas Restaurant Shoe by MOZO is a must have if you are looking for an exciting, functional look for work. Specifically designed for restaurant workers, let’s see what The Natural Low Canvas Shoe has to offer:
- Waxed Canvas – The waxed canvas construction of the MOZO Restaurant Shoe makes them water-resistant. The wax and canvas provide protection and breathability without compromise, something that is highly desirable in any work shoe.
- Slip-resistant Rubber Sole – We may sound like a broken record, but any good work shoe should have some sort of slip-resistant sole. The MOZO Restaurant Shoe’s rubber sole will keep you firmly grounded, even while you are dodging bus boys and customers during a busy night at the bar.
- Style – Work shoes have a bad reputation for being ugly, but that is not the case for this restaurant shoe. You can confidently wear the MOZO Natural Low Canvas Shoe, even off the clock!
If you work in a fast-paced, slippery environment like a restaurant, you can’t go wrong with these shoes from MOZO.
These are the first shoes on our list that you could wear out on the factory floor or up in a corner office. They offer business class style and all the functionality you should expect from a work shoe.
- Memory Foam Sole – Comfort is key when it comes to work shoes, and the Cottonwood Elks Men’s Shoe is definitely Its memory foam sole forms to your feet for a custom fit.
- Electrical Safety – These shoes meet electrical safety requirements and provide a “secondary level of protection on surfaces that are substantially insulated against accidental contact with electrically energized objects.”
- Steel-Toed – Walk from your office out to the build site confidently knowing that you will look the part and your feet will be protected.
For someone who spends time in business environments as well as hazardous work sites, we think the Skechers might be perfect for you.
In the same class as our number three shoe on the list, the Harrington Work shoe is perfect for those who spend time inside and in hazardous work environments.
- Massaging Gel Insole – Dr. Scholl’s is known for their gel insoles, and they have put that technology directly into the Harrington. The massaging gel forms to your feet and helps absorb the impact from walking all day.
- Pebbled Leather Design – These shoes have a classic leather design, so you won’t feel out of place at an important meeting.
- Slip-Resistant – Again, slip-resistance is a must so that you can tackle any problem your day might throw your way!
For the businessman who needs to get his hands dirty now and then, the Dr. Scholl’s Men’s Harrington Work Shoe would be a perfect addition to your wardrobe.
The Mudsill Oxford Shoe is a step away from the boots you are used to seeing from Timberland. This shoe is built to be tough, yet still allow you to be comfortable during your day.
- Steel Safety Toe – Keep your feet safe with the classic Timberland steel toe feel but without the unwieldiness of boots.
- Electrical Hazard Protection – Regardless of your work environment, you can be sure that you will be safe with the electric-resistant Mudsill Oxford Shoe.
- Mesh lining – The mesh lining of this work shoe is antimicrobial for odor control so your feet can breathe and smell fresh!
The Timberland PRO Steel Toe Oxfords are perfect for those who need a protective shoe but hate the bulkiness of heavy work boots!