12 Best Winter Jackets for Women in 2018
When the temperature starts to drop, there is no more important closet essential to purchase than a great winter jacket. It makes sense to invest in a good quality piece of outerwear since you will end up wearing it day in and day out during cold winter months.
Since there are so many options out there, you may feel overwhelmed before you even start your search. To make things a cinch for you, we put together a helpful guide to take you through the most important factors to consider while you’re shopping. We also include reviews of the five best winter jackets for women currently on the market. Read on to learn more!
Top 12 Winter Jackets for Women Comparison Table
How to Find the Perfect Winter Jacket for You
Your quest for the perfect jacket will be much easier once you think about your personal needs and preferences. In the following section, we will take you through key features to evaluate, as well as questions to ask yourself before you finalize your choice.
Your lifestyle and the climate you live in will help determine the length of jacket that is best for you. Here are the benefits of two popular hemlines:
- Hip Length – If you like to be super mobile, you may prefer a hip-length winter jacket to a longer one. Whether you are a runner or simply don’t like the feeling of being weighed down or having your natural gait restricted by a long hemline, a hip-length winter jacket can keep you warm without making you uncomfortable. Even if you live in an extra-cold climate, you can wear this jacket from autumn through spring, and use it as a layering piece during the coldest weeks of winter.
- Mid Thigh – If you don’t plan to wear your jacket for exercising or strenuous activity beyond walking, you may prefer a hem that reaches to your mid thigh. These extra inches of insulation can keep your legs warm, especially if you like to wear dresses and tights during the winter.
Style and Silhouette
In addition to the length of your jacket, the overall style that is best for you depends on your wardrobe needs and daily activities. Below, we introduce three popular winter jacket silhouettes that you will encounter as you shop:
- Collared Zip Front – Whether crafted from machine washable fleece or quilted down, collared zip front jackets are great options for wearing with everything in your closet, from gym clothes to business casual wear.
These jackets are easy to throw on, and they protect your neck, cutting down on the need to pile on a cumbersome scarf.
- Parka – Oversized parkas have been super fashionable for the past few years. If you’re looking for a cool piece of outerwear to pair with jeans and winter boots, you won’t find a more street style-worthy silhouette.
- Ski Jacket – If you are gearing up for a big winter vacation or weekend trips to your local ski slopes, you will need a ski jacket to keep warm for hours on end. Look for ample silhouettes that will save room for layers.
Do You Want to Wear a Purse with Your Winter Jacket?
To help zero in on the best option for your style and daily routine, think about whether you would like to carry a purse with you during the winter. Depending on your preference, you should look for different jacket features to ensure you pick the right design for your needs.
- If You Plan to Wear Your Jacket with a Purse – Seek out lightweight fabrics and cropped silhouettes that will keep you warm without creating excess bulk or weight. Nothing is more annoying than having to wrestle with your purse to keep it from falling off your overly swaddled shoulder.
- If You Prefer to Leave Your Purse at Home – Keep an eye out for jackets with sizable storage pockets. Some jackets come with secure interior pockets, which are ideal for keeping your wallet and other valuables safe and sound. Other models have exterior pockets that you can zip closed, keeping your items from falling out as you move around.
Top 5 Best Winter Jackets for Women Reviews
One of the best winter jackets for women is the Mighty Lite III Jacket from Columbia, a well-known brand for outdoor enthusiasts and active wear fans.
This particular jacket boasts an array of features specifically designed to keep you warm and comfortable all winter long. Its hip-length silhouette and Omni-Heat thermal insulation is super effective in addition to being lightweight. You will be able to wear it for hours without feeling weighed down the way you would with a heavy wool coat.
The fabric is also water resistant, which is key to keeping snow and rain from seeping through to your clothes and skin. Its sturdy front zips keep the wind from cutting through the jacket as well.
Another great advantage of this jacket is its interior pocket, which is big enough to store essentials such as your wallet and keys. This way, you don’t even need to bring a purse with you.
If you are searching for a great hip-length jacket to keep the cold and wet at bay, you really can’t go wrong with the Columbia Mighty Lite III jacket.
Another fantastic option from Columbia is their Benton Springs full-zip fleece jacket. This jacket is appropriate for wearing alone during periods of moderate cold, as well as for layering when the temperature drops well below zero.
The silhouette of the Benton Springs jacket is ideal for anybody who is seeking comfort and versatility above all. The bottom hem sits just below the hip bones, leaving your legs totally unhindered. As a result, it is an ideal design for runners.
This jacket is fabricated with soft and flexible polyester. It is machine washable, which makes it even more ideal for athletes who exercise outdoors during the winter.
Another great benefit of this jacket is its standing collar, which keeps your neck warm and protected from the wind, cutting down on the need for a bulky scarf. It also features pockets at the hips that zip fully closed so that you can leave your purse at home.
Whether you are an athlete or a lover of comfortable athletic wear, you will love the Benton Springs jacket from Columbia. Trust us; you’ll want to wear it from autumn all the way through spring.
If you’re in the market for a cool jacket to wear on a daily basis with jeans, sweats, or even business casual wear, this ultra stylish parka from iLoveSIA is an excellent choice.
This parka is totally on trend, hitting mid-thigh and featuring a drawstring waist, just like the designer versions that have been dominating Fall/Winter runways for several seasons.
This jacket is as practical as it is fashionable. The polyester fur lining is warm and cozy, and its large hood will keep your hair and makeup out of harm’s way when the rain and snow start to fall. It has two large front pockets with protective flaps to keep your belongings secure.
Best of all, this jacket comes in both black and army green, two versatile colors that will go with many items in your wardrobe. We suggest you snatch this coat up in both versions so you can wear it with everything you own!
Another super option for anybody seeking a warm winter parka is this design from 4How.
This jacket is versatile, comfortable, and practical. The bottom hem hits along the upper to mid thigh, keeping you warm without restricting your mobility. Its polyester lining is warm, without adding so much bulk that you feel heavy or cumbersome.
The details on this jacket are also well thought out to keep you warm and cozy when the wind acts up. The long sleeves are lined with ribbed cuffs to keep the wind and wet out. Similarly, the zip closure is reinforced with a fabric flap to prevent sharp gusts from chilling you to the bone.
This parka comes in army green and black options, with sewn on patches that add just the right amount of edge without going overboard. The drawstring features at the waist and bottom hem are cool and on trend as well.
If you’re seeking out a great parka to wear all winter long, give this model a try and wait for the compliments to start rolling in.
The North Face Arctic Parka Jacket is a perfect choice for those seeking serious insulation against frigid winter wind and cold.
This jacket sets the bar for warmth. It features 550-fill down quilted insulation, capped by a waterproof exterior shell which keeps the elements at bay. Nonetheless, the polyester blend allows air to circulate so that you will feel comfortable even after hours of wear.
This jacket is as stylish as it is functional. Its ample hood is trimmed with faux-fur trim. Both the trim and the fur trim are removable. Its cinched waist and dropped split rear hem make for a flattering silhouette on any body type.
If you’re on the hunt for a cute coat that will keep you warm and cozy during the long, harsh winter months, the Arctic Parka Jacket is a no brainer. Choose from a wide array of colors to make the most of your winter wardrobe.