12 Best Winter Coats for Men in 2017
The changing of the seasons can creep up on you, so planning ahead and getting the right coat can ensure that you are prepared.
The best men’s winter coats will provide effective protectionagainst the cold.
There are also specific scenarios in which a winter coat will be necessary, such as if you are planning a trip. If you intend to go skiing or hiking, for example, you will need a coat that is specifically suited to this purpose.
Use our guide to find out how to get the best winter coats for men.
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Winter Coats for Men Comparison Chart
- Benefits Offered by Winter Coats
- Purposes of the Best Winter Coats
- Top 4 Best Winter Coats for Men Reviews
Top 12 Winter Coats for Men Comparison Chart
Benefits Offered by Winter Coats
- Waterproof – Precipitation often comes with winter, which will make a waterproof coat a useful investment. If it comprises a hood, this may negate the need to carry an umbrella around with you.
- Wind Proof – The windchill factor needs to be consumed when checking winter weather, as this often reduces the temperature to a significant extent. Accordingly, if your winter coat does not provide an effective barrier, you will certainly feel the cold. As part of the process of making a coat waterproof or wind proof, it will be useful for a coat to comprise a flap to cover the opening, which will mean that a zipper is more benefit like than buttons as these can leave gaps.
- Padding – Suitable padding in a winter coat will help to ensure that you can stay warm. Padding can be made up of different materials and can be natural or manmade.
Many people will find that padding made from feathers provide the warmest coats, whereas others are perfectly happy with foam padding.
The extent to which the coat is padded will be a factor in whether it restricts your movement.
- Adjustable – Being able to be adjusted will make a winter coat suitable for a wide range circumstances. For example, there may be occasions when a good may be useful but not always, so it would be useful if this can be removed.
The adjustability of the hem, cuffs and collar can help to make a winter coat more wind and water proof and protect the wearer from feeling these. Drawstrings can allow for this and ensure that the coat can be adjusted to suit the scenario.
If it does comprise a hood, being able to use a drawstring to ensure it remains close fitting can be particularly handy in windy conditions.
- Ease of Use – A winter coat that comprises fiddly closures will be no use for cold or gloved hands, so the coat needs to be easy to secure and remove.
Purposes of the Best Winter Coats
It goes without saying that those who live in an area that experiences adverse weather conditions in winter will need a good coat, but there are also other situations where a winter coat will be useful.
Even in tropical countries, it can get cold at high altitude so it will be necessary to have a decent winter coat if planning on a trip at high altitude, such as hiking or mountaineering.
When going skiing, you will require a coat is suitable for wearing in a snowy climate and that will also not restrict movement.
Depending on the purpose for which you want the coat, the style will need to vary to ensure that it is suitable.
Top 4 Best Winter Coats for Men Reviews
The Carhartt Quilted Flannel men’s jacket isone that is suitable for everyday use as well as outdoor activities.
It is 100% cotton and comprises a quilted lining that helps to make it warm to wear, and it comes in a number of different colors.
The appearance of the cotton is slightly weathered, which gives it a casual look, and it is secured with a full-length zipper.
The Carhartt Quilted Flannel jacket has a hood that can be made close fitting with a drawstring. Similarly, the Velcro cuffs and waistband are elasticated to improve the fit and make it more capable of keeping out the elements.
It is easy to care for as it is machine washable.
The Carhartt Quilted Flannel is one of the best winter coats for men as it is suitable for a number of different situations.
The North Face Resolve is a black winter jacket that is ideal for a range of outdoor activities, such as skiing and hiking.
This is due to the qualities of the jacket and the material from which it is made, which is nylon, making it waterproof yet breathable. The seams are sealed to increase the extent of the weatherproofing.
It has a funnel collar into which the hood can be folded when it is not in use.
The closure is a zipper along the full length of the center front. The zipper is covered by a flap that is secured with Velcro.
It is nice and warm and fits well.
For those who want the security of a well-known brand from their winter coat will like the North Face Resolve.
TheCaterpillar Heavy Parka is a heavy-duty jacket that is made from polyester in terms of the lining and the filling.
It is waist length and comes with a microfleece lined hood that is attached with a zipper, so it can be easily removed if necessary. The warmth that it can provide is improved with the use of the drawstring that helps to pull it tight.
There are several conveniently placed pockets and the two-way zipper is protected by a storm flap, which boosts the waterproof and windproof ability.
It is particularly beneficial for conditions in which there is not much light as there is reflective webbing on the front.
It is easy to maintain as it is machine washable.
For a practical and useful winter jacker, the Caterpillar Heavy Parka is an ideal option.
For a way to stay insulated during winter, the Columbia Puffer jacket will work well and it comes in a number of different colors
The shell of the jacket is made from polyester and it is fully lined with nylon. This allows it to be machine washable, so it does not need any special care.
It is also waterproof and the zipper runs along the length of the front in the center, which ensures that the full benefit of the water-resistant ability can be enjoyed when it is worn. It also reached all the way up to the collar to help protect the neck.
The padding of the jacket is faux down and it is sufficient to make it a warm option for cold weather.
The Columbia Puffer jacket has a range of qualities that are ideal for winter.