12 Best Water Bottles for Kids in 2017
Kids these days pretty much can’t go anywhere without their favorite beverage in tow, so if you’re in search of the best water bottle for kids (even if you plan to put juice in it instead of water), then you’ll find some of the top products here in our guide.
In addition to highlighting the top 12 bottles, we’ll also provide you with specific (and very useful!) shopping tips that will help you understand how to choose the right one.
Who wants to waste money replacing a crappy bottle when you can get it right the first time?
You will get it right the first time with our help, so head on down to see what products are worth the purchase!
Top 12 Water Bottles for Kids Ultimate Table
|1. purifyou Premium Glass Water Bottle||12 ounces||Glass with Silicone Sleeve||4.5|
|2. Swig Savvy Bottles||18 ounces||BPA-Free Plastic||4.5|
|3. Thermos Funtainer 12 Ounce Bottle||12 ounces||Stainless Steel||4.4|
|4. CamelBak eddy Kids||0.4 liter||BPA-Free Plastic||4.4|
|5. Contigo Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Maddie Kids Water Bottle||12 ounces||Stainless Steel||4.4|
|6. NALGENE Tritan Grip-N-Gulp BPA-Free Water Bottle||12 ounces||BPA-Free Plastic||4.3|
|7. Contigo AUTOSEAL Trekker Reusable Kids Water Bottle||14 ounces each||BPA-Free Plastic||4.3|
|8. Nalgene Kids OTF Bottle||12 ounces||BPA-Free Plastic||4.2|
|9. Thermos FOOGO Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel 10-Ounce Straw Bottle||10 ounces||Stainless Steel||4.1|
|10. Kid Kanteen 12-Ounce Stainless Steel Bottle||12 ounces||Stainless Steel||4.1|
|11. Brita Soft Squeeze Water Filter Bottle||13 ounces||BPA-Free Plastic||4.0|
|12. Swig Savvy 25oz Glass Water Bottle||25 ounces||Glass with Silicone Sleeve||3.9|
Water Bottle Shopping Tips
There are plenty of products that classify as the “best water bottle for kids” since each family has different needs and expectations from a bottle. Use our shopping tips in this section to help you find the right one for your child’s needs.
- Material – In our table, we listed the bottle material for you to help you quickly and easily eliminate the ones you don’t want. Each material has advantages and disadvantages, which we will look at now.
- BPA-Free Plastic – One thing that you (and your kids) will love about plastic bottles is that they are lightweight (when your kids aren’t carrying the bottle, the chances are that you will and less weight in your bag is always appreciated!). We also like that they are so durable (they won’t dent like stainless steel) and they are usually the most cost-efficient option.
The major downside to plastic is the fact that it absorbs odors and can stain if you put darker beverages inside of it. Another con is the fact that it can’t keep cool drinks fresh for very long and scalding hot drinks are out of the question.
- Stainless Steel – Stainless steel is great since it does not absorb odors and does not stain like plastic. You can use it for cold beverages and some (but not all) stainless steel bottles are also safe for warm beverages. Never assume that the bottle can hold hot drinks because some manufacturers specifically state that you should not do so (be sure to read bottle instructions before using); this is because the risk of burns is greater for children since they aren’t as cautious as adults are.
Stainless steel should be washed by hand since there is a higher risk of it rusting if you let it sit damp in a dishwasher for too long. It is heavier than plastic, but since it is a safer and more hygienic alternative to plastic, we would still consider it the best kids’ water bottle material.
- Glass – The most natural choice would be glass: it is easy to clean, doesn’t absorb odors, doesn’t stain, and you can put any beverage you want inside regardless of temperature.
Some of you are probably thinking, “Psh, yeah right! Give a glass bottle to a child?” but it is quite a safe choice thanks to the heavy-duty silicone that manufacturers encase around the glass. Just as an iPad sleeve protects the tablet, the silicone water bottle sleeve protects the glass. Obviously if you treat an iPad (or a glass water bottle) too roughly, it will break, but you would really have to set out determined to break it since the glass and silicone are so thick. Regarding quality and cleanliness, it is one of the best choices.https://www.testfacts.com/12-best-ipad-cases-for-kids/
- Volume – As you can see from our table, the most kid-friendly size is around 12 ounces.
Larger bottles like the Swig Savvy Glass Water Bottle would be appropriate for older children (early teens) since it would probably be a little large for younger kids to carry around; 12-ounce bottles are sufficient for kids graduating from a toddler cup to a water bottle up until about 10 years old.
- Spouts – What kind of spout does your child prefer? The most common include straws or sports cap closures, but you will find others that twist off like the Purifyou Premium Glass Water Bottle.
- Straws – Straws are great since kids can squeeze the liquid further back into the mouth and since they help promote proper tongue and jaw usage. Kids graduating from sippy cup to water bottle would probably do well with a bottle that has a straw for this very reason. They are naturally trickier to clean (you’ll need to make sure you have a brush that is small enough or some pipe cleaners to help clean them thoroughly) and if your child tends to chew on straws, they’re going to damage it quickly. If you have a chewer, the next cap might be the best choice.
- Sports Cap Closures – These spouts are the kind you lift up when you’re ready to drink and push back down to close when you don’t want the liquid to leak. Some are made of silicone and others are made of hard plastic. Like straws, they are also a bit hard to clean since you have small, narrow spaces on the spout, but the leak-proof factor is superb with this spout style.
- Twist-Off Caps – The other option is to go with the simple and straightforward twist-off cap like that of the Contigo Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Kids Water Bottle. Spills are naturally more probable with a system like this, but they’re much easier to clean and maintain than the other two (no mold lurking in dark, hidden corners!)
Some like the Nalgene Kids’ OTF Bottle have a simple spout that is covered when you put the lid down rather than a twist-off
The point is that you have options!
So Can I Buy Replacement Caps?
Lids get dirty, some get lost, and some get damaged beyond repair, so ideally, you should opt for a water bottle that offers replacement lids.
Not all brands offer them, but it is something that you can look into as you’re shopping.
Trust us: if you find a great water bottle and something goes wrong with the lid, you’ll appreciate the fact that you can buy a replacement for it without hassle. It will also save you money since you won’t have to purchase a whole new bottle.
Top 5 Best Water Bottle for Kids Reviews
Purifyou makes the best water bottle for kids if you prefer glass. The thick silicone sleeve on the outside offers superb protection, and the cap has a little loop on the top so you can hook it to something for easy storage.
It is super easy to clean and maintain, and since the mouth is so wide, you can easily pop in a few small ice cubes if you have a chilled beverage that you would like to keep cool.
As a bottle with a twist-off cap, there are no straws or spouts to help younger children avoid spills, but for older kids, it’s a great choice.
Next on our list is the Swig Savvy Triton Water Bottle.
It is made of plastic (free of BPA, of course), and features two closure systems to help prevent spills. The main lid has a button that will flip it open once you press and then the sport spout lifts up when your child wants to drink and pushes back in when they’re done.
The 18-ounce size is perfect for children and thanks to the long strap attached to the lid; they can tote it around with them pretty much anywhere outside beverages are allowed.
We also liked that they provided a silicone ring around the middle of the bottle, making it easier to grip and carry.
Parents love it, and so do kids!
The Thermos Funtainer is probably the most popular choice on our list and probably the best water bottle for kids in most cases.
Although it is made of stainless steel, you should not place hot liquids inside. We thought we’d clear that up right from the beginning!
Cold drinks will stay cold for up to 12 hours in this bottle thanks to the vacuum insulation technology, which creates an airless space between two walls of stainless steel; this prevents the bottle from acting like a “convection oven” and helps keep the temperature steady.
We like that you can disassemble the lid components to wash them thoroughly, but unfortunately, many users find it rather difficult to disassemble and recommend purchasing replacement straws when you buy the bottle.
Here are those replacement straws!
CamelBak’s eddy bottle is probably best for toddlers who are graduating to a more serious bottle. You can tell that it is marketed for this age range due to the cute characters on the bottle (which older kids might not appreciate), but don’t worry; they do have some neutral patterns for bigger kids!
This is a BPA-free plastic bottle with a straw spout, and while it is very user-friendly and easy for kids to carry, parents simply don’t appreciate all of the nooks and crannies that the straw and lid have. Unless you are willing to disassemble and wash the bottle thoroughly after each use (we know it is quicker to toss things in the dishwasher), this might not be the best choice for you.
It is cute, and it is spill-resistant, but you have to be proactive when it comes to cleaning a product like this if you want to prevent mold growth.
This is probably our favorite bottle since we like stainless steel and a simple spout that is easy to clean.
Just like the Thermos bottle above, this is also vacuum insulated and will help keep cold drinks chilled for up to 20 hours (that is the manufacturer’s claim, anyways).
The lid is super easy for kids to open and you could fit ice cubes in if needed.
Naturally, as a stainless steel bottle, there is a high risk of denting, but regarding hygiene and ease of use, we definitely like this bottle.