12 Best Vintage Turntables in 2017
Though many manufacturers are continually striving to provide consumers with the latest products, there are times when the original is best, and many people may consider this to be the case when it comes to turntables.
Having a vintage turntable will enable you to use a device that works well with particular décor, especially if you like the old school style.
The best vintage turntable will offer practicality and style, enabling you to enjoy the tunes it plays on a regular basis in the most natural way possible.
In our guide below, we’ll be highlighting some of the best vintage options for you.
Top 12 Vintage Turntables Ultimate Chart
Benefits of a Vintage Turntable
People have many different reasons for wanting a vintage turntable, from fitting in with existing décor to being able to show a unique sense of style.
In addition to a vintage turntable having a particular style in terms of its appearance, it can remind you of a bygone era and improve the listening experience.
When CDs just won’t do, a turntable will be needed to create that unique quality that can only be achieved with vinyl.
There will also be an opportunity to obtain a vintage turntable that comprise modern features to allow you to her the best of both worlds.
The type of connection is a factor that needs to be taken into account as it will determine what is required in order to connect it to other equipment.
As with any vintage equipment, it will need to be treated with care, and if you require a turntable for use as part of a DJ kit, then it may be prudent to select a more durable piece that won’t get damaged during transportation.
Depending on the value, you may need to advise your insurance company so that you will have some recourse should anything happen to it.
Vintage Turntable Features
- Appearance – The design of a vintage turntable will often have some importance as it will often be necessary to be in keeping with existing equipment.
- Power Source – many vintage turntables will need to be connected to the mains, but check if they also take batteries if this is an option that you require.
- Compatibility – Check whether it will work with your other equipment.
- Size – The size of the turntable will not only need to be a consideration from the point of view of the plate, but also because of any larger casing.
- Speed – Different vinyl plays at different speeds, so a vintage turntable will need to be able to play at all speeds to ensure that it will be useful.
- Maintenance – Being able to maintain your turntable effectively means understanding what is necessary to repair it and knowing where to get parts, if they are required. You may have to understand that you may need to engage a specialist in the event that any repair is required, which will cost more than it ordinarily would.
- Ease of Use – There is no point in having a vintage turntable that is difficult to use. As the pleasure of doing without ultra-modern equipment is that you do not need to contend with the confusion of the not knowing how to use all the switches and dials.
- Price – The cost of a vintage turntable will often be higher than a modern one.
Top 4 Best Vintage Turntable Reviews
The Electrohome Winston is a turntable that is enclosed within a vintage style wooden cabinet that not only looks good, but also offers some acoustic benefits.
The turntable is set in a real wood veneer cabinet that comprises a hinged lid that enables the vinyl to be protected.
It is designed to have a classic look, but it has modern abilities such as a CD player, radio and a 3.5mm auxiliary input.
These extra abilities make it possible to do more than play vinyl, which can be achieved at three speeds. The belt-driven plate is capable of accommodating vinyl of 7, 10 and 12 inches.
The Electrohome Winston is the best vintage turntable for those who want quality vinyl sound with a vintage look.
The Crosley CR704C-PA turntable has a classic appearance as it is housed within a wood veneer lidded box that looks like it comes from a bygone era.
The turntable can be found beneath the lid while the radio that is included is on the front.
There are three speeds that can be achieved by the turntable, while the radio is capable of playing both AM and FM frequencies.
The clear sound that can be achieved from listening to vinyl on this turntable is possible due to the diamond tipped ceramic needle in combination with the built-in speakers.
The clever styling of the turntable means that – with the lid closed – it looks like an old style radio.
The Crosley CR704C-PA is an excellent 3-in-1 turntable that provides multiple means of playing music.
The Jensen JTA-222 is a turntable that has up to date features beneath an antique façade. The wooden base provides a vintage look and creates a stylish and compact example of a turntable.
Everything needed to operate the turntable can be found on the top of the base within easy reach.
Similarly, the radio that is included in this turntable is easily accessible at its position on the front of the base, and it is also simple to operate.
The built-in speakers provide clear sound from both the radio and the turntable. It is capable of playing three speeds.
It comprises a dust cover lid made of clear plastic that is hinged at the rear.
The Jensen JTA-222 is ideal for those who want a compact turntable that offers an antique look.
The ION Audio is an example of a turntable that can be considered a showpiece due to the stylish appearance. The base is larger than the turntable plate, so it stands out and it is available in natural blond wood or glossy black.
It comprises strategically placed built-in speakers that work well with the overall design, and provide powerful volume levels despite not being large.
In addition to being able to play vinyl a three speeds, the ION Audio also makes it possible to turn vinyl music into digital files. The package comes with the relevant software to make this easy.
The clear dust cover and the non-slip mat help to protect your vinyl while using the turntable.
It comprises the necessary socket to be able to plug in headphones to listen to the music.
The ION Audio is a classic, minimalist turntable that provides clear sound.