12 Best Tire Chains in 2018
Winter is never easy for anyone, especially when it comes to your car. Snow and ice are always a huge problem, and without the right set of tire chains, we risk being stuck for a long time in the snow, freezing because our tires alone cannot cope.
If you are searching for the best tire chains to prevent such an embarrassing situation, this article may give you a couple of ideas as to which products are the most reliable in these kinds of situations. Get out of the snow with these products!
Top 12 Snow Chains Table
Choosing Your Snow Chains
No tire chain is deemed the same as the other. Each is made differently and performs differently based on their construction. Here are the main things to look for in tire chains:
- Link Type – The design and shape of each chain link can have a significant influence on the grip and traction that the tire chain will provide.
Some of the link forms may have been made to handle light cases of snowfall while others were made to withstand heavy snow and ice. Here are the main types of links:
- Square Links – Good snow traction and a superior grip on ice due to increased bite. The ride may be rougher compared to rounded links
- D-Shaped Links – Similar to square links except for one rounded side. Rounded edges limit the jarring.
- Twist Links – Excellent traction in heavy snow and mud, and an adequate grip on ice. The ride is relatively smooth due to rounded edges.
- Rollers – These are steel pieces that have been wrapped around cables. They provide good traction in conditions of moderate snow, and the low profile makes for a smooth ride.
Before choosing the link type, consider that the best snow chains are based on the amount of snow you get during the winter.
- Chain Pattern and Construction – The way in which the snow chain crosses over your tire tread may also be a significant influence on the traction it provides:
- Ladder Pattern – Crossing horizontally over the chain, they provide great grip and braking power when you drive forward.
- Diagonal (V) Pattern – The chains will cross the tread Since the positioning is off-centered, the stopping power and traction will be better on heavy snow than the standard ladder pattern.
- Diamond Pattern – Chains will cross both diagonally and vertically, providing extra coverage and increased traction. Stopping power is greater when driving forward and making turns.
- Multiple/Full Coverage Pattern – The chains will cross in different ways. The various directions will provide maximum protection. Great lateral and forward stopping traction, making them perfect for heavy-duty applications and conditions.
Most snow chains are made of durable steel that is sturdy enough to break through the ice and move through the snow. Here is what you can find on the market:
- Low Carbon Steel – Durable, strong and economically priced.
- Alloy Steel – Durable, sturdy and corrosion resistant. Some alloy steels may contain titanium, which will make them even more durable.
Sometimes, snow chains use other materials, such as rubber or plastic. Still, they are not the best tire chains, since they will not deliver the same performance that steel chains do.
Top 4 Best Tire Chains Reviews
These chains are perfect for both regular and heavy duty vehicles. They are thick, but they will not cause any discomfort while driving – and they are thin, but not thin enough to affect their traction.
They can be installed in less than 15 minutes, and they can be easily unhooked and removed once the snow is gone. It’s a relatively painless process which makes this a worthwhile investment.
The alloy from which these tires were made is highly resistant, so you can use them without fear that they might break throughout the winter. Furthermore, the twisted links will ensure that the traction is superior, allowing you to move swiftly through the snow.
Thule is definitely among the top premium brands for vehicle-related accessories. Their purpose is to help people move around with various tools, and this applies to tire snow chains as well.
These chains were designed to help bigger vehicles, such as SUVs, withstand heavy snow. These chains can be fitted on any kind of tires, going from size 225 to size 255, and the carbon fiber is qualitative enough to make it long lasting.
The tension will be just perfect to provide the traction that you need, and the diamond pattern will make it much easier for you to get a grip on the snowy and iced roads.
This snow chain is the fastest way to drive safely throughout the winter conditions.
Designed for moderate snowfall, these can keep you on the road safely for a longer time, always maintaining a proper grip.
The rubber tensioner will keep the pressure in an appropriate manner so that you will not have to stop and retighten it while you are on the road.
The alloy from which this chain was made is very durable and can withstand even the harshest of conditions. It will make braking even easier to handle than regular tire chains, ensuring that both you and your car are safe and sound.
Security Chain Super Z6 is specially crafted to fit the requirements of SUVs, pickups and passenger cars. That means that it is a versatile purchase.
To be more precise, this tire chain is fitted to vehicles that have limited tire clearance.
After evaluating the performance of this product, we would recommend it for small cars such as Toyota Prius, but also for minivans and large trucks. The performance it offers is unmatched, which is why this enlists a popular choice among drivers.
Due to the diagonal pattern, you can enjoy consistent traction, excellent cornering, and stop. Nonetheless, that won’t interfere with the function of your ABS, so you needn’t worry about this aspect.
Also, the tire chain is effortless to install; it took us less than three minutes to equip the vehicle. Not even beginners will encounter any difficulties during the process.
On the whole, we believe this is a product that will meet your expectations regarding versatility, functionality, and performance in severe weather.
The best tire chains will be able to accompany you throughout winter so that you will not remain stuck in heavy snow conditions. You will have enough traction to get home in one piece, without any incidents.