12 Best Swing Sets in 2017
Swinging is an activity that most of us used to enjoy as a child, but growing up doesn’t mean you have to let go of the fun! Whether you are purchasing your new swing set for your children, grandchildren, or even as a gift to your own inner child, we can help you find the perfect swing set for your needs!
A great swing set needs to be safe, materially sound, and most of all…FUN! Let us help you make your decision by teaching you how to select the best swing set as well as showing you some of the best models money can buy online today!
Here is our list of the top twelve swing sets available for purchase on the web right now:
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Swing Sets Ultimate Table
- Top 5 Best Swing Set Reviews
Top 12 Swing Sets Ultimate Table
|Design||Name||Material||Seat Type||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Lifetime Monkey Bar Adventure Swing Set||Steel/Plastic||Flexible||4.8|
|2. Swing-N-Slide PB 8330 Orbiter Wood Complete Swing Set||Woodguard||Flexible||4.5|
|3. Lifetime Adventure Tower Playset||Steel/Plastic||Flexible||4.5|
|4. Step2 Play Up Jungle Gym and Kids Swing Set||Plastic||Flexible||4.4|
|5. Backyard Discovery Skyfort II All Cedar Wood Swing Playset||Cedar||Flexible||4.2|
|6. Flexible Flyer Play Park Swing Set||Steel||Flexible||4.0|
|7. Equinox Swing Set||Woodguard||Flexible||3.9|
|8. Sportspower Super 8 Fun Metal Swing Set||Steel||Hard Plastic||3.9|
|9. HLC Outdoor Childrens Folding Swing Set||Steel||Hard Plastic||3.5|
|10. Backyard Discovery Montpelier All Cedar Wood Playset Swing Set||Cedar||Flexible||3.4|
|11. Backyard Discovery Prestige All Cedar Wood Playset Swing Set||Cedar||Hard Plastic||3.3|
|12. IRONKIDS Challenge 300 Refreshing Mist Swing Set||Steel||Hard Plastic||3.2|
How Do You Choose the Perfect Swing Set?
As you can see from our top 12 list, swing sets come in many different shapes and sizes. You can choose from the super simple to the super complex and the cost varies as much as the features. So how do you know which is the best swing set for you?
The answer to that question varies from family to family and since there are so many choices available, we want to help you get started by sharing some of the most critical things to consider when purchasing your new swing set.
- Is the Swing Set Age-Appropriate? – Swing sets are designed with an age group in mind, so make sure you also have one in mind when you are shopping.
- A swing set meant for younger children will usually be shorter to lessen the maximum swinging height. Also, any added features (like slides or climbing ladders) will be less steep and made of a softer material like plastic instead of steel or wood.
- Swing sets designed for older children will be taller and may have more “challenging” additional features like monkey bars or climbing walls. They will also be made of more durable materials like steel or wood to stand the weight of fast-growing children.
- Much of this part of the decision-making process involves going with your gut. You know what your family needs as far as safety and ability level, so just keep that in mind, and you can’t go wrong!
- Be Aware of Safety Standards – Always purchase your swing set from a company that adheres to safety standards! Here a few standards that you should expect from your swingset:
- Lightweight Swings – Children are accident-prone, so make sure that the swings will be as gentle as possible in case of a collision with a child’s head or body. Rubber or soft plastics are ideal.
- No Sharp Edges – All edges, including fasteners and other building materials, should be completely covered either by design or by actual absorbing materials like rubber or plastic.
- Keep Obstacles Separate – Today swing sets usually have a lot more than just swings. Make sure that all obstacles have safe separation. For instance, swings should not be hung from monkey bars to keep their legs from getting tangled in case of a fall.
- Durability of Materials – There are pros and cons to the three different building materials used to make swing sets and many sets are a combination of the three. Try and find the one that is best for you:
- Wood – Wood tends to blend into the landscape more, but it will need re-staining to look nice over the years!
- Plastic – Plastic requires little maintenance but is less durable than wood or steel.
- Steel – Steel is a super durable material, but it’s not as safe as wood or plastic as far as impacts go.
- Combination – The best swing set is one that combines these materials in a way that makes the swing set safe, easy on the eyes, and long lasting!
Top 5 Best Swing Set Reviews
Lifetime is a company known for their durable plastic products, and they use it in their Monkey Bar Adventure Swing Set! If your kids are past the toddler stage, they may be ready for a swing set of this caliber.
- UV Resistant – The plastic of the Monkey Bar Adventure Swing Set is resistant to the harmful rays of the sun; this means that it retains less heat (keeping your kids safe on extra hot days) and the set will keep its bright coloring for a long time!
- Free-Standing – One of the most difficult things about a new swing set is the installation. With this free-standing design, there’s no need for cement, which makes installation a breeze.
- Extras – Besides three belt swings, this swing set has a trapeze bar with gym rings, a 9-foot wavy slide, and a fireman’s pole.
Between Lifetime’s reliable reputation and all the added features, we have to recommend this above all others.
This swing set is perfect for younger children and smaller families because it is a little simpler than some of the others on our list, but just as fun!
- Woodguard – Woodguard is a special building material that uses treated wood, which is usually prohibited in play equipment, and coats in a UV resistant plastic shield so that you get the strength of treated lumber with the added bracing of plastic, without the harmful chemicals! With Woodguard you can get the wooden look without the rot.
- Easy Set-up – The A-frame construction of the Orbiter makes it a breeze to set up. All the swing hangers and ground anchors are included.
- The Fun Stuff – Besides all the great structural pros of the Orbiter, it also has some things for the kids, of course!
- The two swing seats are included and have a weight limit of 115 pounds, so your kids can still use it as they grow up!
- The trapeze bar and Olympic rings provide an extra acrobatic challenge!
We highly recommend the Swing-N-Slide PB 8330 Orbiter Swing Set for its strength and simplicity.
The Adventure Tower swing set comes with a surprise any kid would love! Here are some of the best things about this imagination-inspiring swing set:
- Steel and Plastic Construction – The materials of this swing set ensure that it lasts a long time, even from the sun. This UV resistant play set will not warp, crack, or rot.
- Free-Standing – No cement needed for installation. You can skip straight to the fun!
- For the Kids – Enough about why you would love the Adventure Tower Swing Set, here’s why your kids will love it!
- Clubhouse – This hard-roofed clubhouse is perfect for a young child with a big imagination. Equipped with a slide, curved ladder, and climbing wall, the clubhouse is good for hours and hours of fun!
- Swings – Of course we can’t forget the swings! Two flexible rubber swings and a trapeze bar round out the fun qualities of this swing set.
This set is the perfect choice for children who love to play make-believe and very active.
Most of the swing sets on our list are meant for a wide range of ages, but the Step2 Play Up Jungle Gym Swing Set is designed especially for toddlers and small children. Here’s how it made our list:
- Tree House Shape – The tree house shape of this swing set makes for an eventful day for any kiddo who gets to play on it. Equipped with a steering wheel, he/she can “drive” their imagination wherever they would like!
- Raised Platform – The raised platform is a plus because it is safe for the kids while still challenging them, helping them learn balance!
- Capacity – If you have a lot of little ones running around, it can be hard to find play equipment that can hold lots of kids at once. This swing set has a limit of four toddlers or 240 lbs whichever comes first.
The Step2 Play Up Jungle Gym Swing Set is the perfect first swing set for an adventurous toddler who is ready to start exploring.
For a fancier look, you may want to opt for a swing set like the Skyfort II. It is made of all cedar, which is a durable wood that may only need refinished Here are some of its other top qualities!
- Cedar construction – The cedar construction, although a little pricier, ensures that you don’t have to replace this swing set anytime soon and believe it or not, cedar is safer than steel-constructed swing sets!
- Bonus Features – This swing set is packed with extras that are usually only found in huge and expensive swing sets.
- Sturdy Upper Play Deck
- Rock Wall
- Two Belt Swings
- Trapeze Bar
- Side Snack Stand
- Sandbox Below the Fort
The Backyard Discovery Skyfort II Swing Set is perfect for a wide age-range of kids and provides them with lots of activities other than swinging! If you want a durable swing set that the kids will love, the Skyfort II may be for you!