12 Best Pool Vacuums in 2017
If you own a pool, you know how much work goes into keeping it clean and safe for swimming. Between leaves blowing into the water, sunscreen and skincare products rubbing off, and general wear and tear, it’s imperative to have a good vacuum to keep your pool in peak condition.
Fortunately, there are some great models on the market that will take the burden of cleaning your pool off your hands. We have put together a handy guide to introduce you to their key features and help you decide which brand best fits your needs. Make sure to read our reviews of the five best pool vacuum products available – scroll down for more!
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Pool Vacuums Ultimate Table
- Everything You Need to Know to Find the Perfect Pool Vacuum
- Practical Considerations
- Core Design Elements
- Extra Details
- Top 5 Best Pool Vacuum Reviews
Top 12 Pool Vacuums Ultimate Table
Everything You Need to Know to Find the Perfect Pool Vacuum
Finding the best pool vacuum for your needs is much less overwhelming once you understand what to assess while you research. In this section, we will review the key things to keep in mind, including practical considerations, core design elements, and extra details that make certain brands stand out.
The construction and layout of your pool can affect the type of vacuum you should buy. Consider the following before continuing.
- Is Your Pool In-Ground? – The vacuums included in this roundup are best suited to in-ground pools. If you have an above-ground pool, refine your search to find the most appropriate cleaners for that type of construction.
- Does Your Pool Have a Concrete Surface? – While some of the pool vacuums featured in this guide are adaptable and can suction debris off multiple surfaces, including vinyl, others are designed specifically for concrete pools. If yours doesn’t have a concrete surface, be sure to check the fine print to confirm which models are suitable for your needs.
Core Design Elements
Quality pool vacuums share several key features. Here are the most crucial ones to seek out.
- Reusable Filter – Great pool vacuums have powerful suction to pull debris and pool scum off both the horizontal and vertical surfaces of your pool. The debris then passes into a filter that you can detach and empty. Having a good filter is crucial for extending the life of your pool’s built-in filter, which should be free of clogs at all times.
- Self-Programming – The whole point of having a pool vacuum is to cut down on manual labor. Look for models that have pre-programmed circulation sequences that cover the entirety of your pool. That way you won’t have to waste time redirecting the vacuum if it gets stuck running in circles in only one area of the pool.
In addition to the features described above, certain brands add on extra details that differentiate their models from the competition.
Here is a sampling of additional features to consider. These may not make or break a given model, but they are certainly nice to have:
- Customizable Hose Lengths – Some models come with one long hose, generally measuring about 30 feet. Others come with various segments that you can join, customizing the perfect fit for the length and shape of your pool.
- Backup Valve – Even robotic pool vacuums can run into trouble if they hit a corner they can’t navigate their way out of. The best models have a backup feature to help them clear out of corners quickly so they can continue making rounds.
- Extra Grip – Certain manufacturers have designed patented skirts, wheels, or serrated discs to help their vacuums hold tight to pool surfaces. These unique features help the vacuum climb even the steepest pool walls with ease to ensure every nook and cranny gets properly cleaned.
Top 5 Best Pool Vacuum Reviews
If you want to purchase the best pool vacuum in the industry, go with the Vac-Sweep 360 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner from Polaris. For many years, Polaris has been the top selling, most reputable brand in the business.
The 360 automated pool cleaner is suitable for any in-ground pool, no matter what size or shape it is. You merely need to hook the vacuum up to the existing pool circulation pump, and it will make rounds of your pool, sweeping debris into its filter; this leaves your pool filter free of large debris so it can focus on keeping the water chemically balanced.
This pool vacuum is powered by triple jets and is equipped with a backup valve. This valve triggers if the vacuum hits a corner, helping the machine back up of its own accord to continue circling the entire pool.
This brand is the clear forerunner regarding engineering and durability. If you want to go for the best, go for a Polaris.
If you have an in-ground pool measuring less than 50 feet in length, you should consider the Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner. This vacuum can clean your pool floor and all of its walls in under three hours, for a total cleaning cost of under 15 cents!
This lightweight vacuum has a unique cable that moves in a way, which avoids tangling. It navigates your pool using its own programming, so you don’t need to waste time on setup.
As with the Polaris model, the Dolphin also comes with a filter for large debris that is easy to empty; this protects and extends the life of your pool’s built-in filter.
Best of all, this vacuum comes with a full year warranty that covers parts replacement and labor.
If you’re searching for an easy-to-use pool vacuum requiring little intervention from your end, give the Dolphin Nautilus a try. We think you’ll be satisfied with its performance.
Another great option for in-ground pools comes from BARACUDA. This model is easy to install, simple to operate, and effective.
The vacuum operates automatically, navigating with ease around even the sharpest corners. It has a FlowKeeper Valve, which keeps it running smoothly, even if you have a small pump in your pool.
The filter on this vacuum can pick up small to medium debris that would otherwise clog your pool’s built-in equipment. The suction power is strong, yet the machine is quiet, so you don’t have to worry about bothering the neighbors.
It’s equipped with a durable hose that won’t scuff or chafe when it rubs against the walls of your pool. It also features a 36-Fin Disc that grips your pool’s surfaces with ease, yet skims over obstacles like drains and lights.
This low maintenance pool vacuum is a fantastic choice for anyone with a lower horsepower pool pump, or for anybody looking for a simple design that works well. It’s a best bet in our book.
If you prefer wheeled vacuums, this 2-wheel model from The PoolCleaner is a solid choice. It’s suitable for concrete pools measuring up to 16’ x 32’.
This vacuum steers itself, thanks to several pre-installed sequences it can follow. It will clean the entirety of your pool instead of getting stuck in one area. It also has tire treads that will help it clamber with ease over any obstacles in your pool, such as floodlights or jets.
The motor has serious suction, which is optimized by a roller skirt that adjusts when the vacuum hits uneven surfaces such as stairs, sloped walls, or lights.
Lastly, this model features turbine vanes that adjust on their own to ensure the motor operates at full power; this enables the filter to take on large debris, so your pool filter doesn’t have to.
This PoolCleaner vacuum is a great choice for pools located under trees or that take on large amounts of debris for any reason. Give it a try and see the results for yourself.
The Zodiac MX6 Automatic In-Ground Pool Cleaner is a perfect choice for energy-conscious pool owners. It operates using a low-flow design that consumes less energy than its competitors; this makes it a perfect choice for pools that have variable speed pumps.
Even though it operates efficiently, this vacuum has powerful suction capabilities. It can completely clean a decent-sized pool in an hour or two.
This model features an articulating turbine blade which enables it to climb any staircase or wall.
It comes with 36 feet of pivoting hoses that can be connected in sections with ease.
It also comes with a one-year warranty, so if you had any hesitation before, you can rest assured that you can purchase it risk-free.
The Zodiac pool cleaner is a great choice if you want to purchase a powerful, efficient model that does the job while consuming the minimum amount of energy possible.