12 Best Mountain Bike Helmets in 2018
It’s common sense to wear a seatbelt while riding in the car. Bikes aren’t that much different! Whatever sort of vehicle you’re on, safety should always be your priority. Wherever you’re riding your bike, helmets make sense; this is especially true for those of you riding on mountain trails! The bumpier the terrain, the more likely you are to end up falling off and taking a hit to the head. Your helmet can be the difference between a headache and a serious injury. Plan ahead to keep your mountain biking hobby safe!
As you pick out a helmet, what should you look for? What qualifies as the best mountain bike helmet? Granted, there are quite a few choices out there. You don’t need to worry, though. We’ve done the hard work for you of sifting through the available helmets to choose the very best ones for mountain biking. The following chart is filled with our top 12 recommended mountain biking helmets.
Top 12 Mountain Bike Helmets Comparison Table
|Design||Name||MIPS Technology or Shockproof?||Special Features||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Team Obsidian Unisex Airflow Bike Helmet||Shockproof||Visor, 22 Vents, Hair Port||4.8|
|2. Troy Lee Designs A-1 Helmet||Neither||Visor, 16 Vents||4.7|
|3. Bell Super 2R MIPS Equipped Bike Helmet||MIPS Technology||Visor, 23 Vents, Chin Bar for Face Protection||4.6|
|4. Bell Super 2 Helmet||Neither||Visor, 23 Vents||4.6|
|5. GoMax Aero Adult Safety Helmet||Shockproof||Visor, 22 Vents||4.6|
|6. Giro Air Attack Shield Helmet||Neither||Visor, 6 Vents||4.5|
|7. Giro Hex Mountain Bike Helmet||Neither||Visor, 17 Vents||4.5|
|8. Fox Flux MTB Helmet||Neither||20 Vents, Removable Visor||4.5|
|9. Gonex Wind Cross Road Mountain Bike Helmet||Neither||28 Vents, Hair Port||4.4|
|10. Giro Atmos II Helmet||Neither||23 Vents||4.4|
|11. Gonex Adult Bike Helmet||Shockproof||23 Vents||4.2|
|12. Gonex Cycling Bike Helmet||Shockproof||Visor, 23 Vents||4.0|
What Should You Look for When Buying a Helmet?
As you look through the helmets, there are a couple of details you should keep in mind as you search so you can decide on the absolute best mountain bike helmet for you.
- MIPS Technology – For those of you not familiar with MIPS Technology, it stands for Multi-directional Impact Protection System. Basically, MIPS gives your head an extra layer of protection in the event of a crash.
It gives helmets a low-friction layer that lets the helmet’s liner rotate very slightly around your head during a crash. It hardly moves at all, but it does lessen the amount of rotational force that could be transferred to your brain during certain types of bike crashes.
- Special Features – Every helmet offers some protection to your head, but they offer it to you in different ways. There are different types of features on helmets that can make you absolutely love them, or avoid wearing them at all cost. We go more in depth in different features of helmets below.
- Shock Proof – Helmets categorized as “shock proof” provide your head with an extra layer of protection to absorb the shock of the impact when you hit the ground. It can be the difference between a lesser injury and a much greater head injury.
- Size – Be sure to pay attention to the size of your helmet! You need one that is tight enough actually protect you in the case of an accident, but it shouldn’t be annoyingly tight. It should sit straight on your head without being tilted back.
The front section should be an inch or less above your eyebrows to protect your forehead. Once you get one, fasten it on and try pushing it side to side and back to front. If it shifts an inch or more, it needs to be adjusted.
Understanding Special Features
Rather than just buying the first helmet that looks good, you may want to read further into whatever special features it has. Some people find they have a much stronger opinion than they thought about some features! Read on down the list to decide what you do and don’t want in your new helmet.
- Visor – One very common type of special feature on a helmet is a visor. Visors are the part of the helmet that reaches out to shade your eyes a bit from the sun. These are helpful on really sunny (or even rainy) days, but it should be noted that they add a tiny bit more weight as well as a bit more wind resistance.
- Ventilation – The more vents are in a helmet the cooler the wearer will be. The more vents there are also cuts back a bit on the weight of the helmet. Of course, if it rains, the more vents there are the wetter your head will get.
- Full-Face Protection – For those planning on doing a lot of biking downhill, helmets with full-face protection can be a worthwhile investment. These have a wraparound chin bar to help keep you from getting as injured if you fall off your bike.
- Hair Port – Some helmets design their straps to allow for a ponytail to easily fit through the back. If you plan to wear a ponytail while biking, a hair port would add to your comfort and ease while biking.
More effort goes into making a helmet than you might first realize! It’s awesome that you can get a helmet so specifically suited to your needs.
We couldn’t decide on our absolute favorite out of our top twelve, but there were five in particular that really caught our attention. We’ve highlighted some of their features in the section below.
Top 5 Best Mountain Bike Helmet Reviews
This excellent quality helmet would be a welcome addition to your mountain biking gear. It is shockproof to keep your head safe. If you ever have a tumble and end up hitting the ground or a nearby tree, the helmet will do a great job cushioning your fall.
It has a removable visor as well as 22 vents and a hair port in order for you to have the most comfortable ride possible. Whether you’re riding on a dark cloudy day or a bright sunny one, you’ll be prepared for it all!
Another benefit to this helmet is how light it is. It is very durable and strong but is able to protect you without being heavy. It’s very helpful in that it won’t weigh you down while you’re bike riding.
The helmet looks sporty, fits well, and provides the protection you need for rough mountain trails. It is quite possibly the best mountain bike helmet and would be an excellent choice.
This next option is perfect for avid mountain bikers. It has a visor to keep sunny days from interfering with your biking routine. It allows you to let your personality shine through a bit by having over ten different color and pattern options to choose from.
The helmet was designed specifically to keep people feeling cool while they wear it. It has 16 vents to allow cool air to cool your head as you ride. There is also has a synthetic liner with CoolMax pads inside the helmet to help you keep moisture at a minimum. With this helmet, you won’t have any need to worry about arriving at your destination with sweaty hair!
The helmet also has a locking system designed to help the helmet fit securely. It helps the helmet fit close to your head without being uncomfortably tight.
This third choice is a good one for those of you who plan on biking particularly rough trails. It’s made to keep you safe even in the more dangerous accidents. It is equipped with MIPS technology to help give your brain as much protection as possible. It also has a removable chin bar.
If you only bike rough trails on some days, you could remove the chin bar for the simpler trails if desired while leaving it on for the rougher days.
The helmet also has a sun visor and 23 air vents to make you as comfortable and cool as possible, even on hot sunny days.
One last helpful aspect of the helmet that shouldn’t be left unsaid is that it has a TAG fit system. This fitting system allows you to adjust the helmet in several different places to have the best fit possible. The benefits of this are twofold. It gives you added comfort a well as extra protection.
This helmet is an eye-catching one! It comes in over ten bright colors to choose from.
It has a visor as well as 23 vents to keep you cool and comfortable. It should be noted the visor can have troubles staying in position at times. In windy conditions, it tends to ride up even when the bolts are tightened. However, the visor is removable so if it bothers you, just remove it.
Although the helmet is not equipped with the MIPS technology and isn’t defined as shockproof, it does give your head excellent padding and protection for normal mountain rides. If you plan on riding particularly rough terrain, though, it may be in your best interest to consider a helmet with a bit more extra protection.
The helmets are sized a bit small, so you will most likely fit in the helmet that is one size larger than your regular size.
Last but not least, this fantastic looking helmet is ready for a ride on any type of terrain. It comes in some very bright colors, which is helpful in making sure other riders and drivers see you.
This helmet has a detachable visor to provide you with additional protection and comfort in hot and sunny weather. The helmet also boasts 22 vents to add to your enjoyment by keeping you cool.
This product is shockproof. If you end up crashing into anything and hitting your head while wearing this, you should have plenty of protection to keep from getting seriously injured.
Whether you’re looking for a helmet for yourself or one as a good for an avid cyclist, this helmet is an excellent choice.