12 Best Microphones for Recording in 2018
When it is necessary for you to make a recording, you will need a certain range of equipment with an important one being the microphone.
Whether you are recording songs or the spoken word, the quality of the sound is important and needs to be high to produce a decent result.
There are many factors that can affect the quality of the recording and understanding these ensures that the right choice is made.
To get the clearest sound, it is necessary to get the best microphone for recording.
Top 12 Microphones for Recording Complete Chart
|1. Lavalier Lapel Microphone Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser Mic||3.5mm||Yes||4.6|
|2. Blue Microphones Snowflake USB Microphone||USB||No||4.4|
|3. CAD GXL2200 Cardioid Condenser Microphone||Condenser||No||4.4|
|4. CAD U37 USB Studio Condenser Recording Microphone||USB||Yes||4.3|
|5. Ohuhu Audio Microphone – Studio Recording Condenser Pro Microphone||3.5mm||Yes||4.3|
|6. Neewer NW-700 Professional Studio Broadcasting Recording Condenser Microphone||3.5mm||Yes||4.1|
|7. M-Audio Vocal Studio Digital Recording Bundle and USB Condenser Microphone||USB||Yes||4.0|
|8. Excelvan Condenser Sound Recording Microphone||3.5mm||No||3.9|
|9. InnoGear Studio Recording Condenser Microphone||3.5mm||Yes||3.9|
|10. CAD U1 USB Dynamic Recording Microphone||USB||Yes||3.6|
|11. Professional Stereoscopic Condenser Sound Microphone||3.5mm||Yes||3.4|
|12. Connectland Goose Neck Tabletop Stereo Microphone||3.5mm||Yes||3.2|
- Style – A microphone that will remain in a studio does not need to be the same type as that which will be taken to perform at gigs. Consider how you will use the microphone to ensure the design meets your needs.
- Jack – The manner in which you connect the microphone to other equipment will be important to ensure that it can be used. Though a 3.5mm jack will commonly be used, many examples comprise a USB, which may be more useful when using the microphone with computer equipment.
- Stand or Clip – Being able to position a microphone on a desk or table where it can easily be used, or attach it to an existing stand will prove highly convenient. If this is not included as part of the packaging, check the specifications of one that you buy to ensure it fits correctly.
- Noise Cancelling – Microphones will not only capture the sound of your voice, but will also pick up any surrounding sounds. Due to this, it is prudent to consider any features that cancel out any ambient noise to make the recording clearer.
- Compatibility – When using the microphone with other pieces of equipment, it is necessary to ensure that the system requirements can be met to guarantee that the microphone will be able to work with your equipment.
- Cord – The length of the cord is something that can easily be overlooked, but it is important to ensure that you will not be hindered in setting up the microphone because the cord is too short.
Aspects of the Best Microphone for Recording
The specific reason of the use of the microphone should be considered in order to determine what features would be suitable for the intended use.
A microphone, for example, that will be secured on a stand for use at a gig will be different from that which is used to record in a studio.
Think abut the quality of the sound that you require from a microphone to ensure that it has the capability of meeting your needs. For example, if the microphone is required for use at external locations, technology that cancels out unnecessary noise in the atmosphere can prove useful.
The size of the microphone will be a relevant factor, as this will dictate where it can be used and how portable it is.
Top 4 Best Microphone for Recording Reviews
The Royal Voice Lavalier Lapel microphone has the appearance of a typical microphone with a stick with a rounded head.
Though it does not come with a stand, it does have an easy to use clip, which allows it to be attached to clothing or other conveniently located articles.
The cable is extra long at four feet long so it is easy to move around to get it into a convenient location.
The Royal Voice Lavalier Lapel works with several different types of devices, including an iPhone and iPad and it is easy to connect with its standard 3.5mm jack.
The resulting recordings were precise and the voices were not distorted. It is not necessary to angle the microphone in any particular direction as it picks up sounds from all directions.
The microphone is easy to set up and works well.
The Royal Voice Lavalier Lapel is a great microphone for those who want an effective microphone for use with a mobile device.
The Blue Microphones Snowflake USB is a compact microphone that is an ideal size for recording on the move, or when a microphone is only required on a temporary basis.
It is attached to a clip so that it can easily be attached to a computer screen or laptop and it works with a PC or Mac.
The silver casing enables the microphone to be folded away conveniently so it is easy to store.
It is easy to use straight from the box as it uses a USB cable that is easy to fit into place.
It can instantly be used as there is no specific driver required so it is ready for action as soon as it is plugged in.
The sound quality is good and there was no problem with any ambient sound from the laptop to which it was attached.
The Blue Microphones Snowflakes USB is an ideal microphone for those who require a portable way to record.
The CAD GXL2200 Cardioid microphone is a professional looking microphone that looks like the style used for old-school radio programs.
It is set in an elastic shock mount and comes in a protective pouch that is ideal for transporting the microphone from one place to another.
It operates because of an externally biased condenser and has an internal hi-pass filter to reduce distortion.
The sensitivity is set at -36dBV so it does not need to be placed directly in the path of the sound, but can be in the room where it picks up everything. Accordingly, it is great for recording music created by instruments and voices alike.
The CAD GXL2200 Cardioid microphone is the best microphone for those who require professional quality sound.
The CAD U37 Studio Condenser is a stick microphone that is available in a number of different colors and comes with a stand for easy positioning.
It does not require any software to be unloaded as the settings can be chosen as soon as it is plugged into the USB port.
The CAD U37 is a condenser microphone so it is capable of creating a true, rich sound. The recording was clear and picked up a number of different pitches and tones.
Only the relevant sounds were picked up and none of the background noises that were expected to be picked up could be heard. The bass-reduction switch and the 10dB overload protection allows ensures this is effective.
There was no humming sound when used with a PC and it worked well for live use and for recordings to be used later.