12 Best Ice Scrapers in 2017
A good ice scraper is an invaluable tool for anybody who drives a car in a climate where the temperatures drop below freezing. It’s imperative to have one handy to ensure your windows and roof are free and clear of ice and snow so that you can drive safely.
Since you will need to use your ice scraper during days when it’s extra cold out, and likely when you’re in a rush before work, you should use one that does its job quickly and effectively. However, with the market so cluttered with tools that don’t perform well, it’s hard to separate good quality products from their imitators.
To help you out, we have put together a guide that will show you the key features of high quality ice scrapers. We also include reviews of the five best ice scraper models on the market. Read on to learn more.
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Ice Scrapers Comparison Chart
- Consider These Factors
- Design and Construction
- Ease of Use and Storage
- Top 5 Best Ice Scraper Reviews
Top 12 Ice Scrapers Comparison Chart
Finding the best ice scraper for your car and climate is a lot less complicated than you might think. Once you know what features to look for, you will be sure to find a great product to meet your needs.
In the following sections, we will highlight the most important features of high quality ice scrapers and explain the purpose of each one.
Consider These Factors
Here are a few questions to ask yourself before you start shopping.
- Do You Experience a Lot of Snow? Ice? Both? If you live in a climate which has winter frost, but not so much snow (for example, the Southern part of the United States), you can get away with a smaller tool, so long as it has a blade with serious ice removing capabilities. If you live in a region with a lot of snow during the winter (such as Northeastern and Midwestern states), you will benefit from buying an ice scraper with an attached snow broom. That way you can clean both snow and ice off your vehicle with just one tool.
- Do You Have a Vehicle with a Hard-To-Reach Roof? If you have a big SUV, or if you are on the short side and find it hard to reach the middle of your windshield, look for a tool with an extendible handle. This will help you remove snow and ice from every part of your car.
Design and Construction
Ice scrapers are fairly simple tools, but every element is important. Here are some key features to look for.
- Blade – The key to a great ice scraper is a sharp blade that will chip away ice without damaging your windshield.
In addition to being sharp, the blade needs to be durable. Thin ice can be especially tricky, and you often need to use plenty of elbow grease in the process. You need a blade that will withstand this sort of pressure.
The blade needs to be set at an angle where it will clear ice from your windshield without your knuckles getting in the way. Nothing is worse than hurting your hands while scraping ice off your windshield, especially if you don’t have gloves handy!
- Snow Broom – If you live in a snowy climate, you will need to sweep snow off your windows as well as the roof of your car. Failing to do the latter can endanger those on the road around you, as large amounts of snow may fly off the roof of your car while you drive.
The best models for snowy climates comprise a traditional ice scraper at one end, with a long metal handle that contains a bristled snow brush on the opposite end.
Some models even allow you to angle the snow broom at various degrees, depending on the part of your vehicle that needs clearing.
- Handle – Most people will be wearing gloves when removing snow and ice from their vehicle, so the best handles will be designed with this in mind.
Look for soft padded grips that will reduce the slipperiness of the plastic or metal base.
Ease of Use and Storage
Remember, if you live in warmer parts, where it snows infrequently but morning frost is common, a smaller model that can fit in to your glove compartment should more than suffice. This is the ultimate in convenience, as it will take up little room and can be located in a flash.
If you live in a snowy climate and opt for a snow broom model with an extendible handle, look for the following features that make this type of tool easier to use:
- Extendable Handle – The extendible handles and angled broom heads should automatically lock into place, reducing the need to fumble with pins or safety catches while wearing gloves.
- Collapsible Handle – While the best snow broom models for SUVs and trucks have handles extend up to 60”, they should collapse down to a size that can be easily laid flat in the trunk of any car.
Top 5 Best Ice Scraper Reviews
The best ice scraper for snowy climates is the Hopkins 80037 Subzero 60″ Quick Lock Pivoting Snowbroom. Its blade removes all types of ice, from the paper-thin kind that comes with early morning frost, to thick sheets that settle onto your windshield during a blizzard.
This model has a snow broom that won’t scratch the paint on your vehicle. The broom head can be adjusted to seven different angles so you can easily clear snow off every surface of your car.
It also has a squeegee that clears panels and curved surfaces, as well as an attached plow that pushes large amounts of snow out of the way quickly.
The handle extends so you can reach the roof of your vehicle with ease, but it collapses to only 3 feet, so it can be stored in the trunk of any car. The buttons are easy to use while wearing gloves and the handles are padded with neoprene grips to reduce slippage.
This all-in-one ice scraper is a terrific product that makes winter a lot easier to get through.
If you’re looking for an ice scraper without an attached snow broom, this model from Primary Automotive is a great option.
This scraper is two sided. One side features a row of teeth that shred sheets of ice into smaller, more manageable sections. The teeth are safe to use on windshields and won’t scratch. The other side has a flat blade to chisel away chunks of ice with ease.
The handle has a foam grip so that you can keep your gloves on when using the tool.
This ice scraper measures 10” in length. It comes with a handy carrying case so you can keep the interior of your car clean and dry.
Best of all, the manufacturer backs this product with a 10 year warranty.
If you’re looking for a durable, easy to use model that is easy to keep in your car, look no further than this ice scraper from Primary Automotive.
This 2 pack of ice scrapers, one red and one blue, is a great bargain for anybody dealing with heavy snow and ice.
These tools have flat blades that attack ice without scratching. They also have a chipper feature that breaks up stubborn patches of ice into smaller sheets.
The thick foam handles are easy to use even while wearing gloves. Their longer length will help you reach further across your windshield, while easily fitting within your glove compartment.
These ice scrapers are housed in a sturdy zip lock bag that will keep your car interior dry and clean.
They are backed by a 1-year warranty, but they are made from a plastic so durable that you can expect them to last much longer.
If you’re looking for a great set of ice scrapers that are easy to use and store, give this brand a try.
If you are looking for an ice scraper to clear ice off your sidewalks, rather than your vehicle, our recommendation is the Bully Tools 92200 Sidewalk Scraper. This is a heavy-duty product that can slice through even the thickest layers of ice that settle onto surfaces during harsh winters.
The tool is crafted entirely from steel. It features an 11” blade. All you need to do is lift it up over a patch of snow and ice, and then let it drop. The force of gravity will be enough to crack up to half an inch of ice at a time.
This American-made tool is virtually indestructible and is backed by a lifetime warranty.
If you’re looking for a durable tool to make clearing your driveway and sidewalks less of a nightmare, this product from Bully Tools is a perfect choice for you.
Another well-designed product from Hopkins is its 14039 Subzero 50″ Crossover Super-Duty Snowbroom.
The most interesting feature of this model is its curved extendible handle. The ergonomic design gives you extra leverage, making it super easy to remove snow and ice from your windshield and roof.
The handle extends to 50” for ultimate reach and reduces down to 36” for convenient storage. There are several notches in between so you can find an ideal length to work with.
This tool also has a snow brush head that pivots, so you can sweep sheets of snow off your vehicle in no time. If you are dealing with extra wet and heavy snow, simply push a button to convert the brush into a sturdy broom.
This is a great all around product for snowy and icy climates. Try the curved handle out – we think you’ll love it!