12 Best Diaper Bags in 2017
With little ones at your side, everyday outings can become major events and the smaller they are, the more extras you might need: you’ve got diapers, wipes, bottles, a changing pad, hand sanitizer, cream, dirty diaper bags, burp cloths, toys, a nursing cover… the list goes on.
Not only are you responsible for ensuring all the baby stuff gets into the bag once it’s in there, but you also need to be able to find it in a jiffy and often in that magical one-handed way that only busy moms make look so easy!
Fortunately, there are many amazing diaper bags out there that are not only practical but super stylish and comfortable. They’re also comfortable to carry, with some even offering some “purse” space and others converting to backpacks for hands-free options.
You don’t have time to shop around, you’ve got a house to run and kids to care for, so use this guide to help you find the best diaper bags for your hectic lifestyle!
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Diaper Bags Comparison Table
- How to Choose a Diaper Bag That Fits Your Look and Lifestyle
- Bag Styles
- Fabric and Overall Quality
- Top 5 Best Diaper Bags Reviews
- The Final Diaper Bag Verdict?
Top 12 Diaper Bags Comparison Table
How to Choose a Diaper Bag That Fits Your Look and Lifestyle
If you’re a frazzled mom with a lot on your plate, the last thing you need is an overflowing or disorganized diaper bag!
Use the tips below to help you choose the best diaper bags for your lifestyle and help keep you sane (or at least less frazzled) through each and every outing.
It’s important to consider where your most frequent outings are going to be. If you frequently travel overnight to the cabin or the grandparents, you may want something a little larger. If your outings are mostly for running errands and trips to daycare, you’ll probably want to go with something a little more compact.
- Compartments – You’ll want to be able to access things easily with one hand, so look for bags with a variety of interior and exterior storage compartments. Easy-access exterior compartments can come in especially handy for those moments where you seem to (somehow) be doing 10 things with one hand.
- Avoid Deep Bags – While you want something that’s roomy, also keep in mind that things can easily get lost in a bag that’s too deep. While you may be craving a Mary Poppins nanny right now, you’re not going to work a deep dark carpet bag like she does!
- Consider Your Needs, Too – You will also be carrying your things as well as baby’s, so how much room would you like for yourself? Don’t buy a bag that makes you want to scrimp on your daily needs. After all, your health is paramount to your baby’s.
There are also several different options when it comes to the diaper bag style, so compare and contrast them to see which one might suit your needs best.
- Backpack – If there are plenty of long walks, or if Dad often takes them out, a backpack might be more useful than a purse-type bag. You will also want to consider color if you will have different people taking the kid(s) out.
- Convertible Bags – There are plenty of convertible bags that offer multi-use options, and they all come with stroller straps too. Just be sure to only hang them on the front of the stroller, not the back, or place it under the stroller for safety reasons.
Fabric and Overall Quality
Lastly, you should also take the fabric into consideration as you shop as some materials are much more durable than others are: for as frequently as the diaper bag is used, you want to make sure that you have something that can handle the wear and tear.
- Material and Weight – Most bags these days are made with strong and durable fabrics like nylon and polyester, and vinyl.
Some cotton fabrics are also appropriate, but it should be a strong cotton such as duck cloth rather than the lightweight cotton used for shirts and quilting.
Whichever way you go, make sure that you don’t choose a bag made with PVC as that can be toxic, and keep an eye out for bags that are BBA-free. You’ll want to look for something that works well weight-wise, too.
- Washable or Waterproof – You’ll want to make sure your diaper bag is easily washable and waterproof, too. You may also want to consider the color: if you’re outside a lot, they’re bound to get dirty, so darker colors are likely the best option.
- Warranty? – Check the manufacturer’s warranty guidelines to make sure that you can exchange or return it within a reasonable period.
Top 5 Best Diaper Bags Reviews
The bag nation diaper bag backpack tops out at number one on our list for a few reasons: not only does it offer a hands-free option and tons of space, but it also comes with a lifetime warranty.
What’s so cool about this bag is the durability and versatility. It’s made with twill polyester, which is much more durable than lightweight cotton, and you won’t believe how many pockets it has: 14! That’s enough to carry all of baby’s stuff, plus some extras of your own (lipstick, perfume, a hairbrush) that will help you look and feel fabulous…or at least a little less stressed out!
The adjustable shoulder strap and change pad make this bag even easier to use, and you will not regret having a hands-free option when you’re out and about. It’s also made of non-toxic material, has a dedicated wipes pocket, and an insulated area for hot and cold drinks.
It is, hands down, one of the best diaper bags in the parenting world at the moment, but if you aren’t interested in the backpack style or it is out of your budget, check out our next four suggestions.
If you’re looking for a diaper bag that’s sleek, purse-like and super roomy, you can stop right here at the Skip Hop Chelsea. Whether you’re going to yoga, a party, the pool or the library, this faux-leather designer diaper bag is top-notch for style and versatility.
The main compartment comes with a secure zipper-close that helps keeps everything in place, yet the whole bag somehow manages to have 12 storage pockets into the subtle, purse-like design. The smaller pockets work well for everything from sippy cups to cell phones.
This one has built-in stroller straps, and the metal feet mean it also sits well on the ground if you need it stationary while you’re digging around. It’s super roomy, BPA-free and big enough to hold supplies for more than one kid but still small enough to not look too huge on smaller-framed moms.
We absolutely adore the Ecosusi for its super cute and practical design. The shoulder straps are extra padded, making it a nice backpack option for those who find themselves on outdoor adventures.
This bag features one of the best things we’ve seen in our hunt: the front flip pocket. The exterior compartment opens so that the outer “door” lies flat, allowing you to see into the pack and grab what you need with ease.
There are so many compartments in this bag; we don’t even know where to start organizing! The lighter colors make it easy to see into, and a variety of vertically structured pockets make it easy to see inside it.
This is a great bag for casual outings to the beach, park or playground. Plus, the insulated side pockets are perfect for carrying hot and cold drinks.
Here’s a convertible tote that’s cute and has all the action, plus it can be used in three different ways. Carry it as a backpack, shoulder bag or messenger bag. This bag features plenty of pockets for organization, plus it comes with extra mini bags.
The Orgrimmar features eco-friendly, super-soft material. Plus, the main exterior compartment has one of the coolest features we’ve seen in our reviews: a pocket specifically designed for wipes. It’s set up like a Kleenex box so that you can pull out one wipe at a time.
This one is great for solo moms on-the-go who sometimes are looking for a purse and sometimes might be up for being outdoors in the park. The backpack option makes it easy for hands-free needs, but it also looks cute as a purse.
Plus, the square shape of this bag lets it easily sit upright, keeping all your things in place. The eco-friendly fabric is so soft and lightweight that it won’t rub or scrape.
This bag is so cute that it looks more like a classy beach bag than a diaper bag, and it even comes with a matching changing pad. The wide horizontal black and white stripes and tan handles are super fun and stylish. It’s also very comfortable to wear and can be used as a messenger bag or purse.
We love the pocket structure on this bag, too. It has two easy-access exterior pockets for those one-handed moments, a secure top zipper closer, plus side pockets with zippers, and interior storage areas for keeping your extra items.
While this bag is certainly spacious, it’s a little on the smaller side, which will work well if you want to use it more like a day bag or purse, but it’s not quite as well-suited for overnight trips; this would make a great gift for someone who is expecting—order it now for yourself or the next baby shower to make some lucky mom’s day!
The Final Diaper Bag Verdict?
We have something for every mom and dad on our list: whether you’re looking for a more practical bag, one that won’t cramp your style or something that is a little more budget friendly, the bags we tested and reviewed cover a wide range of styles, budgets and functionality needs.