12 Best Compact Umbrellas in 2017
A compact umbrella is essential for anybody living in or traveling to a rainy climate. Whether you commute from home to the office or are visiting a tropical location during the rainy season, it’s imperative to have a portable umbrella handy to ensure you stay dry when the rain starts to pour.
The problem with finding a good umbrella is that there are so many poor quality models for sale. To help you distinguish the good from the bad, we have put together a guide to help you understand the key features of high-quality umbrellas. We also include reviews of the five best compact umbrella models on the market. Read on to learn more.
Top 12 Compact Umbrellas Chart
Finding the best compact umbrella for your lifestyle is quite easy if you pay attention to the following features.
Read on to learn more about what elements are most important when shopping for a high-quality model that won’t break the bank.
Consider These Factors
Here are a few points to consider as you get started.
- Do you experience much rain mixed with strong winds? If you live in a region with heavy winds and rain, make sure to look for an umbrella with a strong frame; this will ensure that the canopy does not flip inside out, leaving you grappling to fix the frame by hand.
- When it rains, does it pour? If you experience torrential downpours, make sure to examine the fabrication of the umbrella’s canopy. Look for fabrics that will repel water, no matter if it’s lightly raining or pouring out.
Design and Construction
Every component of an umbrella is important. Here are some of the most important features to evaluate.
- Frame – The key to a wind-resistant umbrella is a durable frame that will retain its shape, keeping you dry underneath.
The best models have ribs that are flexible enough to bend with the wind and then pop back into place. If the ribs are not flexible, they are likely to snap, rendering the umbrella useless.
The more ribs there are, the more anchored the frame will be. Generally speaking, 8 or more ribs will provide much more stability than an umbrella crafted from only six ribs.
- Canopy – There is nothing worse than carting around an umbrella that feels like a leaky roof. High-quality canopies feature a tightly woven fabric that water cannot penetrate. These fabrics force water molecules to bead up and slide off the top of the canopy, rather than seeping through and leaking onto your head.
Another benefit of a tightly woven fabric is that it is resistant to mold and mildew. If you are dashing from one place to another and don’t have the time or space to allow your umbrella to dry out fully, this feature will be a lifesaver for your umbrella.
- Handle – Good handles provide you with a firm grip despite the elements, whether you are caught in a downpour or are battling a snowstorm. Look for a rubberized or leather grip on the handle – these materials make it much easier to hold onto the umbrella when the wind is blowing.
Ease of Use and Storage
Since you don’t always know when rain will strike, it is prudent to keep a portable umbrella with you, either in your purse, briefcase, or your suitcase. The best models take up little room and can be located in a flash.
When evaluating the convenience of various models, look for the following features:
- Open/Close Function – High-quality umbrellas have a single-touch button that allows you to open and close the canopy with one hand, leaving your other hand free to tote your belongings comfortably.
- Slim Fit – While great umbrellas have a broad canopy to keep you totally dry during the rain, they should collapse down to a size that can be easily stored in a purse or briefcase. Many travel models are noted as “slim fit,” which means they aren’t too wide when collapsed to their smallest size.
- Storage Sleeve – A storage sleeve keeps your umbrella protected while also preventing the interior of your purse or suitcase from getting damp if you don’t have time to dry your umbrella completely after using it. The sleeve fits snugly over the folds of the canopy, keeping everything tucked neatly away.
Top 5 Best Compact Umbrella Reviews
Crafted from premium materials that offer maximum durability, the Easy Touch Compact Ultraslim Sport Umbrella by Happyrain is the best compact umbrella for all types of rainy weather.
The frame is stainless steel, and the ribs are reinforced with resin: this makes the umbrella resistant to winds gusting up to 55mph. In fact, when the frame was designed, it was tested 5,000 times to guarantee that the eight ribs hold steady, and don’t flip inside out the way, so many other models do.
The canopy is fabricated from coated polyester which keeps rain out so that you stay dry even in a downpour.
This umbrella has a handle with a rubber grip so that you can hold onto it in the rain or while wearing gloves in the middle of a snowstorm. It also has an open/close feature that you can activate with one hand; this frees up your other hand to carry essentials such as your briefcase, cell phone, or luggage.
This umbrella measures 13” and weighs less than 12-ounce. It folds down into a small package that can be easily tucked away into a purse.
Best of all, once you invest in this umbrella, you will have it for a lifetime, as it is backed by a manufacturer warranty. It is the crowning feature of this high quality, durable, and portable model.
If you’re looking for a dependable umbrella made to handle windy days, the Benkii 60 Mph Windproof 10 Rib Travel Umbrella is a great choice.
This frame in this umbrella has ten ribs, helping it stand up to buffeting. Each rib is fabricated from resin-reinforced fiberglass. This material can bend time and time again, and consistently returns to its original shape with no damage.
The canopy is also highly effective. Its fabric forces water to bead up and slide off the side, keeping you dry underneath.
The handle of this umbrella is crafted from premium leather which looks luxurious and feels super comfortable in your hand.
Benkii is so confident in the quality of their product that they offer a 3-month customer return policy, as well as a lifetime warranty.
If you live in a climate with lots of wind and rain, the Benkii 60mph Windproof Travel Umbrella is a fantastic option to help you combat the weather.
If you are searching for a foldable umbrella that is as stylish as it is functional, look no further than this gorgeous model from Oak Leaf.
This model features a full sized canopy decorated with a stunning large floral image. The water-repellent canopy is generous in diameter and will shelter two people from the rain.
The stainless steel ribs are durable and stand up to heavy gusts of wind. The open/close feature works well, triggering with a push of a button while you are on the go.
This model collapses down to 11.5” in length. It is slim and lightweight so that you can keep it in your purse during the rainy season.
The excellent craftsmanship of this umbrella will keep you dry, making it a purchase well worth making. Best of all, the beautiful colorful floral design will brighten even the darkest of rainy days.
Repel´s Easy Touch Umbrella is another highly portable compact model.
This umbrella has nine ribs crafted from resin-reinforced fiberglass. As with the models above, this helps the entire canopy of the umbrella remain right side up even when the wind blows mightily.
The frame is supported by a sturdy foldable shaft, which ends in a rubberized handle to reduce slippage during a downpour.
The best part about this umbrella is that it collapses down to 11.5” in length. Once you finish using it, simply pop it into its protective sleeve and store it anywhere. It weighs less than a pound, so it won’t drag you down as you go about your day.
If you’re looking for a study compact umbrella that will keep you dry at a moment’s notice, the Repel Easy Touch Umbrella is a great option for you.
This compact umbrella from CrownCoast is another well-designed model that will keep you dry in all types of rainy weather.
The frame has been tested in winds gusting as fast as 60mph. The frame bends and then returns to its original shape, keeping you protected from the elements.
The frame and handle are also electroplated to prevent rust from forming once you finish using the umbrella. The same goes for the polyester canopy – not only does it repel water, but it also stops mold from forming once it is no longer in use.
Another great feature of this model is its open/close button. You only need one hand to operate the umbrella, so you can transport all of your necessities easily without feeling overburdened – especially if you’re rushing from meeting to meeting during a rainy workday.
If you are looking for an all-around great umbrella that fits into a portable storage sleeve, this model from CrownCoast will surely satisfy your needs.