12 Best Carry-On Luggage for Business Travel in 2017
Carry-ons are a great way to ensure that your belongings stay safely with you when you travel, which is especially important for businesspeople.
What a nightmare it would be to arrive at your destination and finding out that your luggage wasn’t on the same plane!
Some carry-ons are better than others are and if your current suitcase has seen its last trip, our guide to the best carry-on luggage for business travel will certainly come in handy!
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Carry-On Luggage Choices for Business Travel Chart
- Different Types of Carry-On Luggage
- Important Things to Consider
- How About the Garment Bag?
- Top 4 Best Carry-On Luggage for Business Travel Reviews
Top 12 Carry-On Luggage Choices for Business Travel Chart
|Design||Name||Soft/Hard Shell||Closure||Size||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 Spinner||Soft||Zipper||21 Inches||4.7|
|2. Briggs & Riley Baseline Luggage Domestic Carry-On Expandable Upright Suitcase||Soft||Zipper||22 Inches||4.6|
|3. Samsonite Wheeled Underseater Large||Soft||Zipper||16 inches||4.5|
|4. Delsey Luggage Helium Aero Carry-On Spinner Trolley||Hard||Zipper||21 inches||4.5|
|5. Kenneth Cole Reaction Out of Bounds 4 wheel Upright Suitcase||Hard||Zipper||20 Inches||4.4|
|6. Travelpro Luggage Maxlite3 22 Inch Expandable Rollaboard||Soft||Zipper||22 inches||4.3|
|7. High Sierra AT3 Carry-On Wheeled Backpack||Soft||Zipper||22 inches||4.2|
|8. Travel Select Amsterdam Business Rolling Garment Bag||Soft||Zipper||23 x 22 x 5.7 inches||4.0|
|9. Bluesmart One – Smart Luggage: GPS, Remote Locking, Battery Charger||Hard||Digital Lock/ zipper||22 x 14 x 9 inches||3.8|
|10. Olympia Luggage 18″ Rolling Backpack||Soft||Zipper||18 inches||3.7|
|11. 5 Cities 21 Inch Carry On Wheeled Travel Trolley Bag||Soft||Zipper||21 inches||3.4|
Different Types of Carry-On Luggage
When searching for the best carry-on luggage for business travel, you’ll definitely run into a large selection of bags.
In order to help you understand what to look for as you sort through them, here are some of the different features to look at in order to help you purchase a good one:
- Bags with Two Wheels – Are not ideal for crowded or busy places since you tend to require plenty of space between yourself and the luggage in order to move it.
- Bags with Four Wheels – Don’t put much strain on the arms and shoulders and are more maneuverable in planes and airports.
- Hard-Sided – Luggage is great for protecting fragile items and looks a bit more professional. On the downside, though, you don’t get as much space as you would with a soft-sided bag. Such luggage is also subject to dents and dings as well as cracking.
- Soft-sided luggage – Provides you with plenty of maneuverable storage space.
- Backpacks – Are perfect for carrying your documents, laptop or tablet and any other important materials that you need to take along on your business trip.
Important Things to Consider
Here are a few important things you should look at when comparing and contrasting bags:
- Size/Weight – Generally speaking, you should opt for carry-on luggage that is no larger than 45” (length + width + height). When measuring, take the wheels, compartment protrusions and retracted handles into consideration in the overall measurement. Ideally, your carry-on should measure 22 inches high, 9 inches deep and 14 inches wide. To be on the safe side, be sure and check the airline’s limits since these numbers vary from company to company.
- Features – Look for a sturdy wheels (we recommend swivel), an easy-to-grip handle in addition to a trapping system for attaching things such as your laptop case.
- Weight – You don’t want to buy a heavy carry-on that will only contribute to the weight of your luggage. Ideally, the bag should not weigh more than 7.5 pounds.
- Durability – You want a carry-on bag that is made from great material if it is to remain durable for long. Go for luggage with corner reinforcements since the corners of luggage are one of the first things to go when it comes to wear and tear. In addition, be sure to check the seams of the luggage you intend to buy; go for smaller, tighter stitches since they are more likely to hold up for the long term. They are also more likely to resist snagging.
- Material – Leather material may be durable but it tends to be heavy and expensive. Nylon is lightweight and affordable but it might not provide the much needed protection for your items in the carry-on. Polyester, on the other hand, is not only lightweight but also weather-resistant, thus making it a popular choice. The only thing we don’t like about polyester is that the wear and tear is quite noticeable, so we wouldn’t recommend this for frequent business trips.
- Organization – Being a businessperson, you need some sense of organization in your belongings. As such, you should opt for carry-on luggage that lets you be as organized as possible. It can have a good number of useful compartments on the inside and the outside.
- Security – Check and ensure that you can comfortably secure your belongings by way of an internal lock or zippers with space for a travel lock.
- Price Price is also important; however, it shouldn’t be the only deciding factor.
How About the Garment Bag?
If you ever traveled under a hectic business schedule only to realize that the clothes you packed are wrinkled then you will appreciate a garment bag. With the garment bag, your precious clothes are kept as wrinkle-free as possible thanks to the bag’s wonderful design.
Top 4 Best Carry-On Luggage for Business Travel Reviews
The Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 Softside 21 Inch Spinner is a well-constructed carry-on luggage that is easy to maneuver. It comes packed with plenty of useful features to make for a splendid business travel experience. Traveling through crowded airports should be relatively easy thanks to the spinner wheels that come with this carry-on.
When it comes to packing, you will appreciate the expandability of this carry-on-an especially important feature if you tend to bring back souvenirs from your travels. There is a plastic interior pocket to comfortably store your toiletries while the garment bag is a definite plus to help keep your cloths as wrinkle free as possible.
The Briggs & Riley luggage Domestic Carry-On Expandable Upright Suitcase features CX technology which helps expand the bag by up to 25% this gives you plenty of space to store your items especially on the journey back home! It is made from 100% nylon and features fabric lining and a zipper closer. This carry-on is resistant to dirt, wear, abrasion and moisture thanks to the ballistic nylon used in its construction. It is also lightweight thanks to its hybrid fiberglass frame.
The sturdy materials used in its construction make for a durable case for thousands of miles business travel. The built-in garment bag is a definite plus for helping keep your attire wrinkle free. Overall, this carry-on looks professional and is well constructed.
Samsonite’s Wheeled Underseater is the perfect fit for professionals who wish to keep their belongings as close as possible to them. This bag will fit perfectly under your seat and it comes with a number of useful features to make for splendid travel. With it, you don’t have to sacrifice packing space and you will also not have to worry about the headache of your carry-on not fitting under your seat. They offer two sizes: a large one for those who want more packing space and a smaller one for those looking for something a little more compact.
This lightweight carry-on is durable thanks to the material used-a blend of 900 Denier polyester and nylon. You will notice a zippered WetPak compartment in the main interior compartment which you can use to separate your damp or soiled clothes. This way, your dirty clothes don’t get mixed with your fresh ones! In order to keep items such as your notebooks organized, there is a wall of horizontal zippered pockets in the back interior of the carry-on.
The Delsey Luggage Helium Aero Carry-on spinner trolley may look heavy but definitely feels light to the touch. It comes with a number of useful pockets to help keep you organized. You will find pockets to hold items such as your toiletries, charging cables and boarding passes among others.
It boosts of four-spinner wheels that make maneuvering through crowded airports a breeze. No matter how heavy you think your carry-on is, these spinner wheels will make light of moving your luggage from place to place!
The hard shell helps protect your belongings on your travel while the accessible front pouch makes it easy to access your important documents and gadgets.