12 Best Canister Vacuums in 2017
If you’re tired of hauling around a big, clunky upright vacuum, you should look into purchasing a canister vacuum. This type of vacuum is much lighter and requires less elbow grease. Thanks to the hose attachment, you can also access hard-to-reach corners that an upright vacuum would fail to clean.
Since there are so many models to choose from, finding the perfect canister vacuum for your home or place of business requires some research. Fortunately, we have put together a comprehensive guide to help you understand what to look for before you buy.
We also include reviews of the five best canister vacuum models, so read on for more information!
Table of Contents
- Top 12 Canister Vacuums Ultimate Table
- Everything You Need to Know to Find the Perfect Canister Vacuum
- Practical Considerations
- Core Design Elements
- Extra Details
- Top 5 Best Canister Vacuum Reviews
Top 12 Canister Vacuums Ultimate Table
Everything You Need to Know to Find the Perfect Canister Vacuum
Finding the best canister vacuum for your home or office is a whole lot easier once you know what to prioritize while you research. In this section, we will show you the key things to assess, including practical considerations, core design elements, and extra details that make certain brands stand out from the rest.
There are a few factors you should consider before comparing the nuts and bolts of different brands and models. Ask yourself the following questions before you start shopping.
- Do You Have Allergies? – If you or anybody in your household suffers from seasonal allergies or asthma, your vacuum can help! Certain models are outfitted with HEPA filters that suck up dust particles nestled into the fibers of your carpet. Ridding your home of allergens can drastically improve the health of your loved ones.
- Do You Have Ample Storage Space? – Canister vacuums don’t have to be clunkier than their upright counterparts. You can find models with a compact design and helpful crossover handles for optimal storage. Even if you don’t have a ton of closet space, you’ll be able to find a vacuum that tucks neatly away in a corner or even under your bed.
Core Design Elements
Good canister vacuums have specific components that make them effective. Here are the most important features to look for.
- Flexible Hose – People choose canister vacuums over upright vacuums because they require less arm strength to use, and because they provide greater flexibility. Make sure the hose on any canister vacuum you’re considering is both long and easy to twist about. This will enable you to clean things like stairs, corners, and even things like curtains and furniture with ease.
- Easy-To-Empty Dust Container – Canister vacuums can come with a disposable bag for debris, or they can feature a built in, bagless dust compartment. Make sure you are comfortable with the type of debris container on offer before finalizing your choice.
In addition to the features described above, certain brands add on extra details that differentiate their models from the competition.
Here is a sampling of additional features to consider. These may not make or break a given model, but they are certainly nice to have:
- Lightweight – Some models are designed with an extra-lightweight canister. If you don’t want to expend too much elbow grease, look for a model that doesn’t weigh too much. You can find options that weigh less than ten pounds.
- Dual Settings – If you have delicate hardwood floors or want to vacuum dust, hair, and crumbs off your furniture or curtains, you’ll benefit from having dual settings. Some models allow you to retract the brush roll to avoid inadvertently scratching bare floors. Others allow you to control the suction power, depending on whether you’re cleaning delicate fabric or a soiled carpet.
- Built-In Blower – Certain vacuums have a switch you can flip to reverse the air stream; this allows you to use the vacuum as a blower. This setting is great for getting dust bunnies out from under furniture, or even just having some fun with your pet!
Top 5 Best Canister Vacuum Reviews
The PortaPower Lightweight Commercial Canister Vacuum from Hoover has totally won us over. In fact, it earned our vote for best canister vacuum on the market.
This vacuum weighs in at an ultra-lightweight 8.3 pounds, making it super easy to maneuver as you move around different areas of your home. It has a 33-foot power cord for covering large swathes of carpet or flooring, and a hose that extends quite far as well.
In addition to being lightweight, this model’s compact design allows you to squeeze into tight spaces. You’ll be able to vacuum around furniture and even the interior of your vehicle with ease.
The suction on this vacuum can be reversed at the flip of a switch, converting to a blower if you need to send dust bunnies packing or send leaves back out to the garden where they belong.
This beautiful vacuum is a perfect choice for small and large homeowners alike. You’ll never have to lug around a heavy upright vacuum again!
The Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away Canister Vacuum is another recommended lightweight option for people tired of pushing around upright models.
This vacuum is great for carpets and hardwood floors alike thanks to a rotating brush that can be lifted away for bare surfaces.
It’s also a superb choice for anybody with allergies, as it is equipped with Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology to keep 99.99% of irritating dust and pollen at bay.
This model also comes with a dusting brush as well as an attachment to access tricky crevices. Both of these add-ons can be conveniently stored on the vacuum itself.
Lastly, this Shark vacuum features swivel steering so you can access any area of your home easily. It also has a flat nozzle so you can reach under your bed and sofa with no trouble whatsoever.
Anyone looking for a lightweight, agile canister vacuum for all-around home maintenance will be pleased by this model from Shark.
Another great option for people with allergies is this Kenmore canister vacuum. Its HEPA filtration system ensures cleaner exhaust air than the competition.
This is also fantastic for pet owners who struggle with shedding. Both the Pet PowerMate and Pet Upholstery Tool help remove pet hair from carpets, drapes, and furniture.
You’ll find it easy to clean stairs with this vacuum, thanks to its 7-foot hose and the canister’s stair grip.
This model also comes with add-ons. There is a handy crevice tool for accessing corners and cleaning between cushions. It also features a dust brush for extra deep cleaning. Both attachments are stored on the handle of the vacuum for easy access.
Overall, this is a great quality, reliable product that performs well. It really cleans everything, from wood floors to carpets and even furniture. Give it a try; we think you’ll find it a welcome addition to your home.
If you have a lot of carpet in your home, you’ll love the Electrolux Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum. It’s specifically engineered to deep clean all types of carpets, and it has a HEPA filter to keep your home allergen free.
This vacuum comes with a brush roll that can be switched on or off, depending on your needs. It also has three height levels that you can adjust, depending on whether you are cleaning a plush carpet or an area rug.
If you hate cleaning hair and clogs from your vacuum’s brush roll, you’ll adore this model’s self-cleaning feature. All you have to do is press a button, and the brush roll will undo snares and tangles by itself.
This vacuum is super easy to maneuver, thanks to stable wheels and swivel steering. You won’t feel like you’re grappling with an unruly child while vacuuming around furniture or under the bed.
If you’re a fan of low-maintenance appliances that can clean every floor in your house, go for this model from Electrolux. We’re sure that you’ll enjoy the results, as well as the time you save not having to troubleshoot an unwieldy upright vacuum.
The Commercial XL Pro 5 Super Compact Canister Vacuum from Oreck is a super-useful appliance that will clean your floors quickly and thoroughly. It’s great on carpets, area rugs, and bare floors. It’s also superb at sucking up stray pet hairs from any imaginable surface.
The canister is both compact and lightweight, weighing in at a mere 5 pounds. It comes with a handy shoulder strap, making it one of the most portable options you can find.
Thanks to its 30-foot power cord and flexible hose, you can also use this vacuum to clean dust from the bottom of drapes and remove crumbs from furniture, in addition to vacuuming your floors.
Overall, this canister vacuum is a great option for people looking for an inexpensive, portable, and easy-to-store model for day-to-day maintenance. You’ll save time and energy using this appliance instead of sweeping and then vacuuming with an upright model.