12 Best Bike Shorts in 2018
Bike shorts can make all the difference in your trail riding. If you go biking without shorts made specifically for the sport, you’ll find before too long you’ll be sore and uncomfortable from sitting on a bike seat for so long. Even padded seats can’t keep you comfortable forever! The best bike shorts make biking easier and more comfortable for you.
Which ones are the best cycling shorts? You’ll need to consider different features of shorts to decide which ones are the smartest choice for you. If you aren’t sure what all goes into biking shorts, no worries, we have it all carefully explained below. By the end of this article, you’ll have a much better idea about which pair of biking shorts would be perfect for you.
The following chart has 12 of the top cycling shorts listed. Enjoy looking through them to pick out your favorites!
Top 12 Bike Shorts Comparison Table
What Should You Look for When Buying a Pair of Bike Shorts?
As you look through the helmets, there are a couple of details you should keep in mind as you search so you can decide on the absolute best bike shorts for you.
- Padding – If you plan to go biking for any length of time, you’ll quickly find that a bike seat isn’t as comfortable as your couch at home. Getting bike shorts that have padding in them can make a huge difference in your comfort level! There are different types of padding. We’ll go into the types further below.
- Tightness – If you don’t usually wear tight clothes, you may think looser fitting shorts would be more comfortable for you. While that may be true in other circumstances, you may find that while biking you actually prefer tighter clothes.
The tighter the shorts are, the less material there will be for the wind to push against. If you have shorts that billow around you a lot, the wind will catch on that and work to pull you back. It’ll make you grow tired faster.
- Fast Drying – Bike shorts that are fast drying are much more comfortable than other shorts. These shorts are good at keeping you cool while you’re working up a sweat biking up mountain trails.
Fast drying shorts are also helpful for when you ride through puddles or across small creeks.
If you get caught in a rain storm for a mile or two, you’ll be glad you have fast drying shorts once you’re safely out of it!
When it comes to bike shorts, padding is important. Not all padding, though, is the same. Read through the following options to help you decide which type is best for you.
- Chamois – You’ll come across a term called Chamois Padding. Chamois is actually a type of leather, but chamois pads aren’t often made with the leather it’s named after anymore. Now, if you come across the term Chamois Padding it usually is just referring to bike short’s padding in general.
There are two different types of chamois pads, the kind for women and the kind for men. A woman’s chamois pad has pillow padding throughout the center of the pad. In contrast, men’s chamois pad has a cutout throughout the center. Make sure you get shorts that are specifically designed for your body type. It’ll be much more comfortable to wear something made for you.
- 2D 3D vs. 4D – Some shorts will say their padding is 2D, 3D, or 4D. This helps you know how thick the padding is. The higher the number, the better padded the shorts are. The higher the number is, the more the padding is also shaped to the rider’s anatomy, instead of just sewn in like a flat pillow.
- Antimicrobial – Padding that is classified as “antimicrobial” is made with silver ions and bacteriostatic carbon or other similar materials to keep germs at a minimum. If you’re worried about padding becoming a place for germs to collect, look for shorts with pads that are antimicrobial.
- Coolmax– Some padding is Coolmax Padding. This type of padding works to keep you more comfortable by being more breathable than typical natural fibers and by wicking away moisture.
A lot goes into bike shorts! If you’re still on the fence about which type of shorts you want to choose, continue reading to see what our absolute favorites are. We picked the five best bike shorts and will explain a bit more about what each pair has to offer in the next section.
Top 5 Best Bike Shorts Reviews
This first pair of shorts have some excellent qualities to them! If you’re hoping for some good lady’s bike shorts, these would be a wise choice.
They’re a bit unique on our list since we’ve focused so much on padding and these have none! These shorts are excellent for biking, though, particularly in exercise class settings where you’ll be biking part time and doing other exercises the rest of the time. You won’t have any extra padding weighing you down!
They are smooth fitting and roll resistant. They also provide good compression and warmth while still wicking moisture away. They come in several different colors and are long enough not to have to worry about chafing from them being too short. These shorts are thick enough for your panties not to show through.
They are comfortable, lightweight, and match well with all sorts of tops. They would be an excellent buy!
This next pair of shorts is a great option for men who need some good biking shorts. These do have padding, and they are moisture-wicking for the highest level of comfort possible. Sweat and rubbing issues are a thing of the past with these shorts.
These are tight shorts and will not be wind resistant to slow you down at all. Even if you’re not typically a tight-shorts type of person, try these out! You’ll be pleasantly surprised by the difference a pair of well-fitting bike shorts can make. The tightness of the shorts also means they don’t shift around at all. Once they are situated in the right position, you’ll be good to go for the rest of the day.
The material in these shorts is durable, and the stitching is excellent. They also have UPF 50+ sun protection as an added bonus. These shorts would be a satisfying purchase.
Another satisfying purchase, these Sponeed Cycling Shorts are high-quality clothes. The 4D gel padding is generous and provides you with breathable comfort that will keep you biking for hours longer than if you were wearing other shorts.
The material is excellent. It never sticks to your skin, no matter how much you sweat while you’re riding. The shorts are made with quick-dry material to make you a happy bike rider with no complaints.
The ink on the shorts is harmless to the skin and very long-lasting. The print won’t fade out from the sun, lots of use, or being washed.
Another nice feature of these shorts is that they have a helpful rubber ring at the bottom of each leg to keep them in place. You won’t have any need to worry about them riding up as you’re riding your bike!
This pair of shorts would be another wise purchase.
Another pair of men’s shorts, this option is focused on keeping you healthy. One way the shorts cut back on germs is the double antibacterial padding. The shorts work to reduce the sweat you produce by being very breathable. The lack of as much sweat and the double antibacterial padding makes for fewer infections caused by bacteria.
As mentioned, the material of the shorts is breathable. There is a mesh design on both sides of the waistband to help in that breathability to keep you cool. The sweat you produce evaporates faster because of the mesh design. The short’s pad also has Coolmax technology to keep you extra comfortable.
The padding in the shorts not only supports you, but it also makes long rides quite comfortable. Choosing these shorts will make it possible for you to ride longer distances than ever before!
Last but definitely not least, our final choice is a women’s pair of bike shorts that is padded. These shorts provide their user with a comfortable 3D gel padding. The padding is quite thick but breathable and quick-drying.
There are bands on the ends of the legs of the shorts to keep the short’s legs from riding up and bothering you while you’re cycling.
Another benefit of these shorts is that they have reflective logos on them for better visibility on low light rides. It’s safer for you and everyone else!
Rather than focusing on how painful it is to ride long distances, you’ll be able to focus on how comfortable you feel and how far you can go. You may be a bit unsure about how you’ll feel with padding if you’ve never used it before, but trust us that you’ll be thanking yourself for getting it 2 miles down the road! Padded bike shorts are the way to go for long distance bike riding.