12 Best Bagged Vacuums in 2018
Buying a bagged vacuum cleaner is certainly not a glamorous affair, but it is a necessary one! It can be difficult to choose from the large number of vacuum models on the market (all claiming to be the best) to find the right one.
If you have at least determined that a bagged vacuum is ideal for your cleaning needs, our guide will help you find a model worthy of purchasing.
Here, you will find our recommendations for the best bagged vacuum models as well as some of the things to consider before you make your purchase.
Top 12 Bagged Vacuums Comparison Table
Clean Like a Pro: How to Find the Perfect Bagged Vacuum for Your Home
When every vacuum cleaner claims to have the most powerful suction, longest hose, and cleanest filter, it can be daunting to pick the right one for your home. Choosing between a bagged and bagless model is often the most difficult part of the process, but since you are reading this, we can assume you are ready to purchase a bagged vacuum (a good choice for the cleanest vacuuming experience).
What Type of Vacuum Is Best for You?
Underneath the umbrella of bagged vacuums, there are a couple of different types to consider. In our list, we focus mainly on the first type (which is also the most popular), but we wouldn’t be doing our job if we didn’t tell you about the others.
- Upright Vacuums – Upright vacuums make up the majority of our list, and for a good reason. They are the most popular type of vacuum because of their suction power and easy use. Their tilt and push design make for a simple vacuuming experience.
Upright vacuums are best for deep cleaning carpet and other surfaces. Their edge-to-edge suction means you can cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time, making the upright vacuum the classic “workhorse” of house cleaning.
On the flip side, these vacuums sometimes don’t have the versatile attachments that you might find on a canister vac.
- Canister Vacuums – Canister vacuums are made up of a tank and long hose and, as previously mentioned, are mostly known for their versatile attachments. They also have similar suction power to that of an upright.
The downfall of canister vacuums is that they tend to be heavier than uprights and because of their design can be difficult to haul around your home. The canister of this type of vacuum can also make for difficult storage.
- Stick Vacuums – Stick vacuums are the future of vacuums, but they haven’t quite caught up when it comes to suction power.
These vacuums are usually cordless which is convenient, but the battery life is usually pretty short. Also, they usually lack the cleaning power of a traditional vacuum because they use a rotating brush to pick up dirt.
These vacuums are best used for spot cleaning instead of vacuuming the whole home.
Do You or Your Family Members Have Allergies?
Once you have selected the type of vacuum you want, you need to consider how clean you want them to be; this may seem like a silly question because of course, you want a vacuum that leaves the air in your home clean! While all vacuums help keep allergens and other particles out of the air (by removing them from your floors), you can purchase a vacuum with a HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Arrestance) certified filter to ensure your vacuum catches as many particles as possible.
How Long Is the Attachment Hose If the Vacuum Has One?
No matter what type of vacuum you choose, if it has an attachment hose, make sure it is long enough to reach the hard-to-get-to places in your home like ceilings and under tables.
It’s All About Your Needs!
There’s no secret equation to finding the best bagged vacuum for your home. To make the right decision, you should consider your own home’s cleaning needs and your cleaning style to find the vacuum that will work well for you. As long as you keep the points above in mind, you can’t go wrong!
Here’s an in-depth look at some of our top picks in bagged vacuum technology:
Top 5 Best Bagged Vacuum Reviews
Oreck is a prolific vacuum manufacturer and for a good reason. Their UK2200 XL gets our vote for the best bagged vacuum available because of its no-frills cleaning power. Oreck proves that more features do not equal better cleaning. Here’s why we love it:
- Super Lightweight – At only 9 pounds, this bagged vacuum by Oreck is one of the lightest models on our list. The bag makes up a large portion of the weight at 2.6 pounds, but that means that it has a large capacity for dirt, which we like.
- SaniSeal Technology – Oreck’s SaniSeal technology keeps filtered debris inside the bag as you detach for disposal. One of the most common problems with bagged vacuums is a messy cleanup, but that is the case for the UK2200 XL.
- Maximum Filtration – Oreck boasts that its UK2200 filters 99% of allergens, dust, and debris as small as 5 microns.
Oreck’s UK2200 may not win any fashion contests, but its superior cleaning power and straight up design make it our favorite bagged vacuum on the list.
If Oreck’s UK2200 is old school clean, then Kenmore’s 31140 bagged vacuum is its futuristic and stylish counterpart. Kenmore is well known for their top-notch appliance products, and the 31140 is no exception, especially for those of you out there who are pet owners.
- Pet Handi-Mate Attachment – In addition to the crevice and combination upholstery and dust tool, Kenmore’s Pet Handi-Mate attachment promises to remove from your carpet and furniture even the most unruly of pet hair.
- Electronic Performance Indicator – Have you ever been cleaning and suspected that your vacuum wasn’t performing up to its standards? Kenmore has fixed this issue by putting a performance indicator on their 31140 vacuum. If there is a clog or full bag that is reducing suction, this vacuum will let you know.
- Suction Power – Kenmore’s proprietary Power Flow technology keeps air flowing through the vacuum and hoses to ensure consistent suction.
If you are a pet owner struggling with shedding, the 31140’s Handi-Mate pet attachment is more than enough reason to add this vacuum to your cleaning arsenal.
The previous vacuums on our list have been great all-around vacuums for many different kinds of flooring. This soft carpet vacuum by Soniclean is designed specifically for, well, soft carpet. If you have soft carpet (which is notoriously hard to clean), this specialty vacuum may be exactly what you are looking for.
- Adjustable Vent System – The vent system in this vacuum allows for easy maneuverability on soft carpet by allowing airflow; this keeps your vacuum from suctioning itself to your soft carpet.
- Special Vacuum Brushes – Soniclean’s soft carpet vacuum contains special soft nylon brushes that are gentle on your carpet while maintaining powerful cleaning power.
- Large Front Wheels – Another design choice made for consumers with soft carpet, the large front wheels on this Soniclean vacuum enables it to ride on top of soft carpet instead of through it for easier pushing and maneuvering.
If your carpet of the soft variety, you should definitely look for a vacuum with features like the Soniclean Soft Carpet Vacuum, that is, if you choose not to purchase this specific model.
Hoover is one of the top vacuum manufacturers in the space today, as you can see from the fact that they’re on our list so many times. Their Platinum Collection Bagged Vacuum combines the old school cleaning power of a simple bagged vacuum with the versatility of a canister!
- Canister Vacuum Included – The feature so nice we’ve mentioned it twice, the additional canister vacuum included in this bundle is a huge bonus. A canister vacuum on its own can often cost as much if not more than an upright so for its price, you can’t go wrong.
- HEPA Bags – This vacuum comes with HEPA bags that trap 99.97% of dirt and debris as small as .3 microns for an ultra clean vacuuming experience.
The value of an upright and canister combination plus the vacuum engineering of Hoover makes their Platinum Collection a no-brainer.
Last but not least, Hoover rounds out our top 5 with their T-Series WindTunnel Pet model. Designed specifically for those battling fur on carpets and furniture, the T-Series is a great example of a bagged vacuum for pet owners.
- P.A.W.S. System – Hoover’s Pet Approved WindTunnel System removes dirt embedded in the carpet and lessens the scatter of debris while suctioning.
- On/Off Brush Roller – With the touch of a foot pedal, this vacuum transitions easily from hard floors to carpet and back.
- One Touch Bag Release – Hoover’s bag release system makes emptying/replacing HEPA bags easy and fast, so you don’t waste any more time cleaning than you have to.
If you’re a pet owner, it is hard to go wrong with Hoover’s pet-friendly T-Series vacuum. It’s touch on fur and easy to clean.