12 Best Backpacks for Kindergarten in 2018
As your little one prepares for their first year in the “big kid” school system, you want them to be as prepared as possible. One thing that can aid them as they start their education, and aid you as you let them go, is a good quality backpack. It will help them easily carry what they need to and from kindergarten hands-free.
Giving your child a backpack is also a fun way to get them excited about going to kindergarten. If you get them one that fits with one of their interests, it will make going to kindergarten that much more exciting for them.
There are many backpacks to go through, however! How do you know which is the best backpack for kindergarten?
To help you save some time, we have gone through many backpacks to pick out the very best 12 for you to look through. Any of these will serve your child well!
Top 12 Backpacks for Kindergarten Ultimate Table
|Design||Name||Insulated section?||Machine Washable?||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Skip Hop Zoo Little Kid and Toddler Backpack||Yes||Yes||4.7|
|2. Coavas Little Kids Backpack Dinosaur Preschool Toys Bag Best Gift||No||Yes||4.7|
|3. Yodo Kids Insulated Toddler Backpack with Safety Harness Leash and Name Label||Yes||No||4.7|
|4. Olive Kids Trains, Planes and Trucks Pack ‘n Snack Backpack||Yes||Yes||4.6|
|5. Coolwoo Kid Backpack, Baby Boys Girls Toddler Pre School Backpack Children Backpacks Bags||No||Yes||4.5|
|6. JiaYou Kid Child Girl Flower Printed Backpack School Bag||No||Yes||4.5|
|7. Obersee Kid’s All-in-One Pre-School Backpacks||Yes||No||4.4|
|8. Shopkins Girls’ Print Backpack||No||No||4.4|
|9. Speaking Life Children Backpack Kindergarten School Bag Backpack||No||No||4.3|
|10. Everest Junior Backpack||No||No||4.2|
|11. Hynes Eagle Sweetheart Pattern Kids Backpack||No||No||4.1|
|12. J World New York Lollipop Kids’ Rolling Backpack with Lunch Bag||Yes||No||4.0|
What Should You Think About When Buying a Backpack for Kindergarten?
You don’t just want any old backpack for your kindergartener; you want the best backpack for kindergarten and beyond!
Here are a few tips to help you narrow down the choices.
- Pockets – Pockets in a backpack are important! There are several kinds, in particular, to keep watch for. We’ve gone into more detail about backpack pockets in the section below.
- Appearance – Get your child a backpack they will enjoy looking at and using. If you choose one that looks like their favorite animal or character or get one related to something else they like in some way, they will be much more excited about using it and going to kindergarten.
- Washable – As neat as they can try to be, children end up getting dirty more times than not. It would be wise for both health reasons and appearances if you got your child a backpack that can be washed. You don’t want them carrying around a dirty backpack all year!
- Straps – Make sure to get a backpack with comfortable straps. If you give your child an uncomfortable backpack, they’ll be much less likely to enjoy using it. Getting a backpack with padded, and even adjustable straps can go a long way in helping your child grow to love using the backpack. If they love using the backpack, that in turn will likely help them love kindergarten even more!
Understanding Backpack Pockets
There are a few types of pockets, in particular, that would serve both you and your child well if they were in your child’s backpack. Keep your eyes opened for the following pocket types.
- Insulated Pouch – If your child’s backpack has an insulated pouch included, you can more easily and safely pack them lunch or snacks that usually would need refrigerated. Food safety is important!
- Water Bottle Pocket – A water bottle pocket on the outside of a backpack is helpful in several ways. If your child doesn’t close their water bottle completely, it’s helpful in keeping the bottle upright and away from the items inside the pack.
You don’t want everything to come home soaking wet! It’s also helpful in reminding your child to drink while they’re at kindergarten. Many times people, including children, tend to drink more often if they see water than if it’s out of sight.
- Small Pockets – Although large pockets are definitely helpful for storing books, jackets, and big toys, it’s also helpful to have small pockets. Whether they are open or zipped shut, small pockets in backpacks help you keep your child organized by giving you a place to store their crayons, pencils, and other craft supplies or small toys.
Top 5 Best Backpack for Kindergarten Reviews
This fun little backpack has a lot going for it! It could definitely be argued to be the best backpack for kindergarten. It has a nice roomy main compartment, perfect for storing an extra jacket and your child’s favorite toy or books. There is also an insulated pouch included with the backpack, so you can safely pack your little one snacks or meals that need to be kept cold.
The pack also has separate pockets to store small school supplies. It also has straps that can be adjusted for the best fit. The straps are padded to give your child the highest level of comfort.
The backpack has a water bottle pocket on the side so your child can easily keep a drink there and reach for it without having to take off the whole pack. There’s even a separate water bottle you can purchase to match the pack if you desire!
This particular item is made to look like a cute little owl. There are also several other animals and designs the backpack company has created that are equally adorable.
For your comfort, the backpack is also machine washable. It would be a breeze to clean it up; this is a highly recommended pack for kindergarten!
This next adorable option is perfect for children who love dinosaurs. It’s a 3D eye-catching design that will have all the other children wanting to try on the pack! It’s not only cute but also quite comfortable with adjustable padded straps. Once they put it on, your child won’t want to take it off!
It does not have an insulated section but does have a pocket on the side you could stick a water bottle in: no need to worry about your child getting dehydrated!
The backpack was made with little children in mind and the zipper pulls are a good example of that. They are rubber coated so little fingers can get the best grip possible. They’ll love how they can open it and get things out all by themselves!
This is definitely another excellent option.
Another high-quality kindergarten backpack, this is a great one for animal lovers! It’s a navy shark, complete with teeth! It’s unique in that it has a detachable tether. If your child is wearing the backpack while with you, you can use the tether to keep your child from wandering too far off. When it’s time for them to go to kindergarten, you simply unclip it and let them go!
The backpack is insulated and will keep food and drinks either warm or cold for up to 3 hours! You can pack your child’s lunch or snacks without worrying about the food going bad before it’s time for them to eat it.
The backpack itself can be rinsed from the outside to get rid of any fingerprints or stains, and the lining is washable.
There isn’t a water bottle holder, and it’s not big on pockets, so if pockets are of large importance to you, you’d do better to choose a different option.
Even without pockets, though, it’s an excellent choice that would get any child excited to go to kindergarten!
Another excellent option, this backpack would excite any vehicle loving child. It is sprinkled with pictures of all sorts of planes, trucks, trains, and more! There are also over ten other colors and patterns available to choose from so you can get your child exactly what they want!
The backpack has an outside water bottle holder for ease and comfort. It also has an insulated section to keep food safely stored for your child.
The backpack is durable and made to stand up to children’s wear and tear. If, however, the backpack is found to have a defect, the purchase includes a one-year warranty.
Another wonderful feature of this backpack is its washable nature. It can safely be machine washed or wiped down with a cloth for spot cleaning. If your child comes home, dirty with a dirty backpack after playing with his or her friends, no worries! The backpack is just as easily washed as your child is.
Our final option is another excellent one for children who always seem to get dirty wherever they go. The backpack can be safely washed in the washing machine without damage to the material or color.
It’s an absolutely adorable design, sure it get any child excited about using it and going to kindergarten! They’ll likely give the backpack a name just like their other stuffed animals and dolls.
It does not have an insulated section, but you could purchase an insulated lunchbox to include in the backpack if you wanted to.
There are padded, adjustable shoulder straps to make it a comfortable fit for the child wearing it. There’s also a pocket for water bottles as well as a couple of other pockets.
Another helpful aspect of this backpack is that it is water resistant. If your child has to walk for a short period in the rain while wearing the backpack, their belongings inside the pack should stay safe and dry.
This is another excellent backpack for kindergarten choice!