12 Best Backpack Vacuums in 2018
Doing even minimal research makes it clear that a backpack vacuum has huge benefits over many push vacuums.
The superiority is partially due to the fact that this kind of vacuum is generally made for commercial use and therefore is more powerful, but it also has to do with the convenience of being able to move freely with the machine.
Want to know which one to choose? Our guide will help you find the best backpack vacuum cleaner for your budget since we have shortlisted the top 12 models.
Read on to see which vacuums our experts recommend.
Top 12 Backpack Vacuums Comparison Chart
The Convenience of It All
Backpack vacuums are for those that are serious about cleaning. These are some of the most powerful and convenient vacuums on the market, and can certainly change the way that you clean your home or operate your business.
First, think about the following features that will make your vacuuming easier:
- Length of the Cord – The most useful backpack vacuum will have a longer cord that is 40+ feet. This adds to the convenience but it is always possible to add more extension cords to get the desired length.
- Comfort – This is a feature that will affect how long you are able to use the vacuum. The vacuum should come with padding at the points where it comes in contact with your back as well as adjustable straps.
- Accessories – Most backpack vacuums will come with a set of accessories to ensure you can clean more extensively. Make sure your accessory pack comes with addition style hoses as well as heads that will meet your specific needs.
- Capacity – This refers to how much dirt and debris can be held in the canister. For large business spaces, seek a canister with a capacity of 6 quarts or more. Less than that is suitable for homes and more is only recommended if you own a cleaning service or will be using the product extensively.
Getting the Best
The effectiveness of the best backpack vacuum is determined mainly by the power, weight and the maker of the product.
All of the features add to the overall appeal of a vacuum and how it will work on a personal level, but if you only have time to consider a select few features, then consider these:
- Power – This is the most important. Power is what helps you to clean properly and quickly. This is essential, as you do not want to waste any more time cleaning than is necessary.
The power generally refers to the motor but also refers to the suction that is produced. The more powerful the motor, the stronger suction you will have. You can clean any and every surface if you have a powerful backpack vacuum.
- Weight – As you will need to wear the vacuum, potentially for extended periods of time, you should seek a vacuum that weighs no more than 12 pounds. While this could be affected by the capacity of the vacuum, this needs to be suitable for the one wearing it.
- Brand Names – For many products, the brand is not directly linked to quality but backpack vacuums are one product where the brand matters. OF course quality should come first, but higher quality products can often be found from well-known brands like Hoover.
- Consider the Noise – Many of the models on our list have been specifically designed to reduce noise as to not disturb an area while they are in use.
- HEPA/Micro Dust Filter – This is something that will keep the air clean while you vacuum and it will also extend the life of the machine.
- Warranty – One of the reasons to buy a new backpack vacuum is to take full advantage of the warranty. This should cover all the parts, filters and other aspects of the vacuum. A longer warranty is also a good indication of a quality company that truly believes in their product.
- Reviews – The most reliable way to determine how well a vacuum will operate for you is to read expert reviews. These provide you with a first-hand account that details the features in a more personal way but also reveal any shortcomings that aren’t highlighted by the manufacturer.
Top 5 Best Backpack Vacuum Reviews
The ProTeam Super CoachVac HEPA is a commercial grade backpack vacuum that will put the majority of traditional household vacuums to shame. Whether you are in the cleaning business or have made cleaning your home a top priority, this is the most effective vacuum you could have for collecting dirt and debris.
This is perfect for high traffic areas as it has a superior suction quality to reach deeper into the fibers of the floor’s surface. In addition to being highly effective, this vacuum also comes with a 50-foot cord to let you clean without unplugging.
As this is a large 10-qt. vacuum, it is essential that the back straps and harness are as comfortable and secure as possible. The padding in the straps and on the back area make this a vacuum that is easy to wear. You can also use this to clean ceilings, walls and other hard to reach areas with ease.
For such a large and powerful vacuum, it is surprising that the Powr-Flite BP6S Comfort Pro weighs less than 9 pounds. The comfortable and padded straps make it easy to carry this vacuum around with you, whether it is around the house or in a larger business space.
The suction on this model is incredibly strong so you can get deep into the fibers of a dense carpet. The long cord and the 6-quart capacity also add to the convenience of this vacuum. The benefits are compounded with the accessories.
This machine comes with every tool you would need for an extensive and effective clean. The hose is also very flexible to allow you to clean and pivot into tight spaces easily. With 7 different points to adjust the back support features and a large capacity that lets you vacuum for hours without having to stop, you really can’t go wrong with this machine.
Hoover is now one of the top names in commercial-grade backpack vacuums in addition to the household push vacuums the company is known for. The Hoover Commercial C2401 is the lightweight dream vacuum you have always wanted. This is a model that has actually been designed with the help of a chiropractor so you know it will be comfortable to wear.
In addition to this, the model machine is incredibly quiet. You can clean large areas without being disruptive. The cord is very long too so that your cleaning isn’t interrupted by having to find new plugs as you move from space to space.
The vacuum comes with an accessory pack that includes different hoses and ends so you are better equipped to deal with any scenario. This also means that you can clean everything from carpets and area rugs to hardwood floors and more with ease.
Investing in the best backpack vacuum comes at a high cost but one that will definitely pay off if you make that investment in the ProTeam ProVac FS 6. This vacuum is perfect for cleaning any commercial space, specifically those that deal with food.
This vacuum is lightweight and can handle cleaning food and debris from any surface. This includes hardwood floors, carpets, upholstery and even cleaning lighting fixtures and fans on the ceiling. The vacuum comes with the tools you need for cleaning entire floors as well as the smaller, more precision jobs.
As is essential with backpack vacuums, this one is fully adjustable and made for the comfort of the person wearing it. The harness has thicker pads at the contact points as well as a lumbar support and sternum strap. This all keeps you safely secure to the vacuum as you work.
The Atrix VACBP1 HEPA backpack vacuum is lightweight without compromising any of the suction power or the effectiveness and health of the filtration systems. This is a vacuum that is ideal for not only cleaning floors but also for cleaning stairs, drapes and other fabrics throughout the house.
In addition to being a vacuum, this is also a blower. This is something that comes in handy when you aren’t ready to clean up from a project but need the debris moved without exerting too much effort. The vacuum feature is incredibly effective, with suction so strong that it might even take 2-hands to detach it from drapes.
All of the accessories make it easy to clean, without missing any of the higher up areas. It is recommended when you get this model that you also buy an extension cord to ensure you do not need to unplug the vacuum often.
The Most Important Feature
Regardless of how and how often you will be using the vacuum, it needs to be effective. Power is the most important feature to look for in the buying process. This ensures you are not wasting your money and will not waste your time in the cleaning process later.
A vacuum that is comfortable but not powerful is not worth your money but a vacuum that is not comfortable but is still powerful can be worked with. While both comfort and power are important, power is clearly the attraction.