12 Best 14-Inch Laptops in 2017
Finding the perfect laptop is easy if you’re Bill Gates, but if you’re like many of us out there and you don’t have in-depth computer knowledge, it takes a bit more time and research to find what you need.
The fancy component names and various other metrics that experts use to gauge computer performance don’t have to intimidate you! We’ve put together this guide to help you on your journey to mobile computing.
In this guide, we will tell you how to discern a “good” 14-inch laptop from the best 14-inch laptop, plus show you some of our favorites. First, let’s get an idea for what a top-performing laptop can look like.
Table of Contents
Top Twelve 14-Inch Laptops Ultimate Table
|Design||Name||Hard Drive Space (Gigabytes or GB)||Random Access Memory (RAM)||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Dell Latitude 7000 E7450 UltraBook Laptop||256GB||8GB||4.7|
|2. HP Chromebook 14 Intel Celeron 4GB 16GB 14-inch Google Chromebook||16GB||4GB||4.4|
|3. HP Pavilion 14’’ HD WLED-backlit Display (1366×768) Laptop PC||1TB (Terabyte)||12GB||4.2|
|4. Acer Chromebook 14||32GB||4GB||4.2|
|5. The Razer Blade (GeForce GTX 1060) 14″ HD Gaming Laptop||512GB||16GB||4.1|
|6. HP 14-inch Laptop||32GB||4GB||4.0|
|7. HP Stream Laptop PC 14-ax010nr||32GB||4GB||3.8|
|8. ASUS VivoBook R416SA-EH21 14″ Full HD Laptop||128GB||4GB||3.8|
|9. ASUS L402SA Portable Lightweight Laptop PC||32GB||4GB||3.8|
|10. Lenovo Flex 4 Convertible 2-in-1 14″ Touchscreen Laptop||500GB||4GB||3.8|
|11. Acer Aspire One 14″ AO1-431-C8G8 Laptop||32GB||2GB||3.6|
|12. Lenovo IdeaPad 14-Inch HD Laptop||64GB||2GB||3.2|
There Are So Many Options, How Can You Select the Laptop That Is Right for You?
Shopping for a new laptop can feel like a random shot in the dark between all the different features that are offered and the sheer amount of numbers and specifications you need to consider. But what features really matter in your search for the best 14-inch laptop?
We’re going to help you decipher the tech specs and features that you’ll need to understand to make a well-informed purchase.
- Technical Specs That Matter – Unless you require ultra-high performance from your laptop for running programs for work or gaming, there are only a couple specs that you need to know so that your computer can keep up with day to day functions from e-mail to streaming video.
- Hard Drive (HD) Capacity – Hard drive space is measured in Gigabytes (GB). Hard drives come in many sizes from smaller 16GB drives to large 1 Terabyte (1000GB). The capacity of your drive determines the amount of information (pictures, documents, music, etc.) that you can store on your computer. Storage should be the first thing you consider in your new laptop.
- Random Access Memory (RAM) – RAM (in GB) refers to your laptop’s ability to perform tasks such as loading applications or checking your email. It focuses on the data that is being actively used while you are on your laptop. Think of it this way: your hard drive stores all of your information and when you go to access and use that information, your RAM kicks in and allows you to do so. The bigger the RAM, the more tasks it can complete at once, generally speaking.
- Processing Power – Processing power, measured in Gigahertz (GHz), is the thing that wraps up your hard drive capacity and RAM into a nicely performing package. A laptop’s processing power is the measurement of how fast your computer can perform any given operation. In other words, how fast can your laptop grab information from your hard drive and use it’s RAM to utilize it?
Now, just because you can get a computer with a 1TB hard drive with a 4GHz processor doesn’t mean that should be your choice. Keep in mind how you use your computer and look for laptops with appropriate specifications.
- Other Features – As an everyday laptop user, what you will probably notice most about your new laptop is its design. How well constructed is it? Does it have technologies that other models don’t? Here are some cool features to look out for when shopping for your new computer:
- Touch Screens – This technology has finally made it to laptops from tablets and we couldn’t be happier. A touch screen can really change the way you use your computer, especially in creative pursuits like graphic design.
- Foldable/Detachable Screens – In combination with touch screen technology, this feature allows some new laptops to detach from or fold behind their screen leaving you with a handy tablet. This is a very versatile feature.
To find your new laptop, you only need to look as far as your own needs. If you can find one that can handle your data load and desired tasks and combine that with an intuitive, durable design, then you can’t go wrong!
Let’s take a deeper dive into the top 5 performers from our list of best laptops.
Top Five 14-Inch Laptop Reviews
Dell is a very well-known consumer laptop manufacturer, and their Latitude 7000 UltraBook is secure and strong enough to be taken out into the world with you wherever you go. Here’s why recommend the Latitude 7000 as our number one pick for all-around laptop performance:
Hard Drive Capacity: 256GB
Processor: Intel Core i5-5300U Dual Core (2.3Ghz-2.9Ghz)
- Security – The Latitude UltraBook features Dell Data Protection; this includes advanced encryption and authentication technology as well as high-performance malware prevention.
- Durability – Not only is this laptop secure; it is light and durable as well. At only 4 pounds, you can haul it just about anywhere, and its touch screen display is built with Corning® Gorilla® Glass for shatter protection.
We consider the Dell Latitude 7000 UltraBook the best 14-inch laptop on the market today due to its advanced security features and strong, durable design. Not only that, but it has the hardware to keep up with just about any task you throw its way!
Google’s Chrome Operation System has taken laptops by storm recently because of its web-based performance capabilities and open-source nature. Primarily supporting web applications, it’s easy to see why HP decided to come out with a Chromebook of their own.
Hard Drive Capacity: 16GB
Processor: Intel Celeron 2955U (1.4Ghz)
We think we’ll be seeing a lot of laptops running Google’s Chrome OS in the near future. Here’s why you should consider this one.
- Simple Setup and Maintenance – Chrome OS is, in simple terms, a web browser running on a Chromebook. It is incredibly easy to startup. Simply log in to your Google account.
- Designed for Productivity – Google’s productivity tools are second to none and are built into this machine.
- Affordable – Designed for the average user, this laptop comes at an affordable price when compared to other machines that offer you the same speed and performance.
Honestly, we love just about anything Google puts out, and for that reason, HP’s Chromebook is definitely worth a shot if you spend tons of time on the web.
This 14-inch laptop by HP is one of the highest performing laptops on our list. If you have a lot of data to store and find yourself bogging your current laptop down with too many tasks at once, we definitely think you should check out the Pavilion.
Hard Drive Capacity: 1TB (largest HD on our list)
RAM: 12GB (hence the multitasking power)
Processor: 6th Gen Intel Dual Core i5-6200U (2.3-2.8GHz)
- Long Battery Life – Besides meeting and exceeding performance standards, the HP Pavilion boasts a battery life of 10 hours and 15 minutes! Battery life can be an essential factor to those of us who take our computers on the go often.
- Lots of Input Ports – The HP Pavilion laptop comes with the following input ports for maximum entertainment/utility/performance, including:
- USB 3.0 – 2
- USB 2.0 – 1
- HDMI – 1
- LAN – 1
The HP Pavilion puts its competitors to shame as far as computing power goes. If you have the need for a top-performing laptop with lots of storage, this model is definitely for you.
The second Chromebook on our list, Acer brings us an affordable and functional laptop great for web-based users. The sturdy aluminum design and full HD IPS (in-plane switching) display make this Chromebook beautiful, but what makes it tick?
Hard Drive Capacity: 32GB
Processor: Intel Celeron N3160 Quad-Core (1.6-2.24 GHz)
- Intel Graphics Card – While this computer may not be built for gaming, nobody told its graphics card. The HD display is gorgeous and is great for viewing photos or streaming video.
- Long Battery Life – We boasted an earlier laptop for having a 10 hour battery life. Well, Acer’s Chromebook, because of its minimal hardware needs (Chrome OS is web-based), has a battery than can last up to 12 hours!
A Chromebook is a great option for anyone looking for a great laptop right out of the box and we love Acer’s version because it is sleek and affordable.
We didn’t want to complete our list without putting at least one gaming laptop in the spotlight. We know that even casual gamers need high-performance machines to run the latest games, so we bring you the Razer GeForce GTX1060:
Hard Drive Capacity: 512GB
RAM: 16GB (the RAM as well as the NVIDIA graphics card enable great gaming performance in high definition and virtual reality)
Processor: 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ (2.8-3.8GHz)
- Full HD Matte Display – This LED backlit screen brings together all the hardware power of the Razer GeForce and presents it in a beautiful high definition.
If you are a gamer, the only laptop choice is the Razer GeForce GTX 1060. If you are not, however, it’s probably best to look elsewhere on our list for a computer that isn’t overpowered for your needs.